Monday, March 28, 2005

The Return of Monday

Back again!

The weekend was great! The play was really well done, even better than I hoped, and my son was enthralled. Hard part for both of us was not singing along . . . We did Easter at my sister-in-law's house. she does a big egg hunt for all the assorted nieces/nephews/cousins, etc. God bless her (she's nuts!) she does it every year for 15-20 kids with their parents along for baggage. (The kids are never trouble, it's always us so-called adults . . .) Fun part is that my two Brother-in-law's and I do the egg hiding. This means we get to be extraordinarily mean to the older kids (my son being on of them!) by hiding the eggs in impossible locations. My best was prying up a paver brick from the patio and burying one of my boy's eggs under it, then replacing. My son says he officially hates me now. (Yesss, we hatesss him, doesn't we, precious? Filthy fathersss! They hidesss our eggssess, don't they?) Okay, now that was a scary little detour into the depths of my psyche, wasn't it?

No writing or editing at all this weekend. (Sensing a pattern?) I am definitely a weekday writer at this point. I can usually squeeze 1-2 hours in a day between lunch and evenings but the weekends are just too busy for me now. Maybe when I become a full time writer (yes, hope springs eternal!) I'll be able to do some weekends. Wonder if I'll need to though? I'm good for 1,000+ words an hour on a fairly regular basis so I'm thinking if I work 5-6 hours/day I should be good with a five day week, right? (Okay, all you pros stop that snickering right now! Did you hear me? I mean it now . . .) The wife and kid are on vacation this week, so they stopped in to take me to lunch, which is always a very cool thing. 15 years married and I still like hangin' with her. That's gotta be a good thing, no? The boy always makes me laugh so there's never a dull moment with him about. Only drawback: no writing done at lunch today. Oh well, there's always tonight.

Watched "The Ten Commandments" last night on DVD (Okay, "watched" may not be the right word. I sort of half-listened to it while giving my eyes an extended rest period on the couch.) That's a family tradition. The boy actually enjoyed it this year. It's the first time he's been old enough to watch it from start to finish and keep up with the story line. It's pretty cool watching them grow.

I was thinking it over this weekend and I'm pretty sure I'm procrastinating with the GS edits on purpose. It's that fear thing again: once they're done, I have to start looking for an agent and doing query letters, proposals, etc. That's all new territory and it scares the spit out of me. That's the point where I'll have to stop imagining I'm the greatest writer since Dickens and get some real feedback from the folks who make money at it. Very worried (read: gibbering) that I don't have what it takes at all. [Sigh.] Only one way to know for sure. (I know that mentally, but the screaming simian inside my brain is still chattering from the tree tops!)

Did some Crits over on FM today. I really am picking up a lot from those ladies. In particular, I find that I use way too many commas when I write. I catch most of them in editing (I hope!) but you ain't seen a run-on sentence until you've looked at one of my rough drafts! This is a source of much amusement for both ladies. (I believe one of them gave me the dubious credit of the longest run-on she'd ever seen!) I comfort myself by saying that the brilliance of my prose cannot be constrained by the niceties of punctuation. (Wow, the BS is gettin' deep in here, eh?)

Just a quick side note: if you folks haven't done so yet, you should swing by the sites I have links to on the sidebar (yea, over there on the left . . .) Some of it is amazing stuff. A wide array of personalities, voices, and viewpoints. All of it is writing related in one way or another and I have picked up an incredible amount of info from all of them: so set to it, folks!

Later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still laughing at the Gollum thing. LOL. I know what you mean about the agent stuff; luckily I'm not going to be there for a while, but I'm already dreading it.

J.A. Coppinger said...

Agentsses.... yesss, they scaress usss too, don't they preciousss?

LOL. I'm counting on you & Eleah to help keep them from laughing me out of their office!