Wednesday, March 09, 2005

A Brilliant Idiot

Somedays I don't know if I'm a moron or a genius. I've been going crazy over the length of "Clans" and it just occured to me that (With a little cleanup) I could end the novel right where I am if I turn it into a multi-book series. I'd always planned that but I was sure I had to reach a certain point in the story before I ended the first book. I can take that and use it for the opening of the second. Ah, the things we overlook in our quest for brilliance! Not sure I'm going to do that yet, but I'll be thinking on it heavily.

So, my son sprained his hand yesterday at school. Gotta give the boy credit: he did it in 4th period gym -playing basketball- and didn't say anything until 7th period, when it was too swollen for him to write and the pain was getting worse. Tough kid. Not real bright, maybe - but tough! The school nurse thought he might have some broken fingers, but the doctor said just sprained.

Had a great Boy Scouts meeting last night. The S.C.A. (Society for Creative Anachronisms) came in to do a demo for the boys and they LOVED it! If you've never seen these loons, they dress up in full armor and beat the crap out of each other with padded weapons. It's pretty neat to watch. The folks who came in were really nice; they let the boys try on the armor and showed them about using the different weapons, etc., then proceeded to beat the hell out of each other for their entertainment. Much fun for all!

Watched "The Amazing Race" after I got home (the wife was kind enough to tape it for me!) and laughed my ass off watching Rob & Amber from "Survivor". Rob was cheating, lying, and bribing everyone he could talk to. It was brilliant! I like that show; it's pretty neat watching couples go into a meltdown because they can't read a map! As I've said before: I like Reality TV (some of it anyway) I watch "Amazing Race", "Survivor", "American Chopper", "The Apprentice", and "The Contender". The only other shows I really watch are "West Wing", "Battlestar Galactica"(VERY cool show!) and "Monk". I like shows where I can't guess what's coming next. My wife hates watching TV with me; I can usually tell her the entire plot of most shows, including who the bad guy is, in the first 90 seconds. Comes from being a writer I think. I spend so much time plotting and foreshadowing it's hard to miss where others are going, unless it's really well done. That's why I like "Monk": the writers are very clever and careful with their clues, though I do usually manage to unravel the mystery before Monk does. The show's also quite funny, with a good touch of drama. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend.

Anyway, that's enough of my TV review for now...

Later!

No comments: