Friday, March 25, 2005

Editing and Entertainment

Did 2000 words today on GS inserts. I'm picking up the comments I started making during editing before I move on. When I get to the end of the mark up phase, I only want to have to do the red mark stuff during type-in. I don't want to have more chapters to write.

It's a drastic shift in gears for me to switch between "Clans" and GS. The tone of voice in each is so completely different! GS is a first person fantasy told by a smart ass self proclaimed 'barbarian' where "Clans" is a serious, third person Omniscient epic fantasy in the old school style! (Yo, damn straight fashizzle! Or some other phrase my old, middle class, white brain doesn't understand!) I have a blast writing GS though, there's a lot of humor in it and I love being a smart ass on the written page (Yea, I know: you're shocked!)

Gonna be a great weekend! Tomorrow: me, the wife, and the kid are going out for dinner at our all time favorite restaurant (Steak so tender you can cut it with a butter knife and chewin' is optional!) then out to see a production of "Jesus Christ Superstar". My son has no ide that we're going to see it. I got him totally hooked on the movie and the soundtrack, which I keep in my car (Yes, I am a dork. Wanna make something of it?) I think he's going to get a big kick out of seeing it done live. I am a big fan of stage productions. I have yet to see any film (Okay, maybe LOTR . . .) that thrills me as much as watching real people working their craft. The wife and I went to see "Little Women" on broadway not long ago and I was stunned -as always- by the skill of the actors and singers and the raw energy they put out to entertain my silly old ass. It's some remarkable stuff. I even love going to local high school productions. One of the best plays I've ever seen was done by a HS drama club. They did "Camelot" (Alright, I love musicals! I admit it!) and it floored both my wife and I. The kids did the storming of Lancelot's castle at the end by charging unexpectedly down the aisles from the rear of the theater toward the stage. It was beautiful!

Little bit crazy at work today. We're opening a new regional office so most of out IT guys are down there helping with the move. That leaves yours truly as the only "IT" guy available to help 300+ engineers. Lucky me! I don't really do IT: I'm mostly training and development with a touch of software support thrown in for kicks. I've done enough hardware work over the years though that the real IT folks have unoficially adopted me as a fellow geek. I know just enough about what I'm doing to know when I'm in over my head and stop. That's the key to brilliance right there: knowing when it's time to stop and ask for help. Good advice for all. I'll try to stop in and leave some posts over the weekend, but it's also a holiday (Easter) so I may not get the chance.

Later!

5 comments:

SRH said...

If you don't mind me asking, for whom do you work as an IT professional? Just curious since I too work for a bunch of engineers.

J.A. Coppinger said...

A Civil Engineering group in NJ. I handle all the CADD and Design training, as well as software installs & helpdesk. How about you?

SRH said...

I am the Senior Cartographer / GIS Coordinator at a "super-regional" A&E firm based in Columbus, Ohio. I am in the transportation planning department. I am loathe to give out the company's name on the Internet, lest they find out about my blog. That being said.... our major job that the t. planning group have been the prime consultant for with ODOT is the Cleveland Innerbelt Study. I am fairly confindent that there is something on the web about it.

J.A. Coppinger said...

Damn. Took a look at innerbelt.org: that's a hefty piece of pie you folks have cut for yourself. We do a lot of corridor work here in the tri-state and the immensity of the problems -and public resistance- you run in too is incredible. I do not envy you!

SRH said...

And all my work is primarily on the PI end of the spectrum. Recently, they have made me increase the detail of my mapping. Now we are identifying potential property takes. It is getting a whole heckuva lot more heated now.