Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The Contender

Sorry there was no post yesterday; the entire day was friggin' nuts! Work was non-stop phone calls and fixing problems and the wife, son, and I ran out the door ten seconds after I got home. It was a "shopping" night - one of those lovely evenings where my wife needs to return "one or two things" at various stores. We invariably wind up spending 3-4 hours running all over the place, return three things, and buy a dozen more. God, I hate shopping!!!! My wife adores it; she can happily spend an entire day doing nothing but browsing from store to store -not even buying anything! (which is good for my wallet but bad for the migraine I get after the first 10 minutes!) I'd rather have someone use a hole-punch on my eyelids than spend that long in a mall.

I did manage to squeeze in 1,900 words on "Clans" yesterday. My characters introduced me to a new set of bad guys I didn't even know existed and the character who was supposed to be the grand love interest for my MC decided she wanted a better role as an Antagonist. (She was so pushy about it, I had no choice but to give her the job!)Should be interesting; I can see lots of fun coming when the good/bad-guy/girl are in love with each other. I'm worried about the length of the book though, I'm fast on the heels of 170k (which puts me out of 1st novel acceptance range already) and I'm not even close to done. This one may have to wait till after I've published something shorter. Luckily, the novel I'm editing should fall out about 90-95k after editing, which puts me right in range.

Took the time to watch the premier of "The Contender" last night (Yea, I know I shoulda been writing, but I've been waiting to see this show!) I was impressed with it. I like the fact that these are not men who are going to whine about how rude or unprofessional the other people on the show are; they are not going to cry because someone called them a name, nor are they likely to dress in clown suits or eat pig bladders. These are professional fighters: men who will win or lose based on how much of a beating they can take/deliver in the ring. I watched the match last night and at the end, when the loser had his exit interview and was on the verge of tears I actually felt for him. This was a man with nothing, going back to nothing, after giving his all in a vicious fight. He lost. He's gone. I don't think there are any lucrative job offers in his future, his family is still in the same spot they were before he took his beating. That's real drama.

Later!

No comments: