Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Pissed Off Wife and Other Ramblings

So the wife is pissed at me today (no real surprise there!) She thinks I'm spending too much time at Boy Scouts and writing instead of being home to do. . . God knows what! (The wife knows too, but since she's convinced there's not much difference between herself and the Almighty . . . ) Let's be clear here: one can never spend too much time writing or camping! (leastways not in my world!) I don't understand why she takes such umbrage at my absence. When I'm home, my fat ass sits next to her on the couch, flipping channels on the tube; not exactly exhilerating companionship, ya' know? It's not like I'm out drinking, gambling, and whoring (It just ain't me, folks.) I'm hanging with my son and other kids, trying to help them learn some important things or I'm sitting in the next room typing and/or scribbling on sheets of paper with my red pen. (Christ, I'm dull!) Where's the bad? Oh well, maybe I should just be glad she misses me and move on, eh?

Here's something to ponder today: why is it inhumane to keep animals in cages, yet it's ok to lock up human prisoners? On the other hand, why is it alright to kill dangerous animals but not human beings (who are far more dangerous than the most pissed off bear you've ever met!) It seems contradictory to me that it's considered better to kill an animal than lock it up, but kinder to lock up a human than to kill him. Strange, no? I'm a little weird in this respect I guess. I have no qualms about the death penalty, but I'm a rabid supporter of civil rights. All too often it seems I'm the only one who supports both. I hear people scream about the prisoner's rights and how barbaric executions are. It comes down to a simple choice: who's rights are more important, the prisoner's or the victims. Personally, I think the victims civil rights take precedence (they after all, committed no crime!) and yes, I do think equal reparations is a right. If I steal $100 from someone, I should have to pay it back. If I kill someone, I should be killed. Simple, direct, and to the point.

I'm planning on doing a good bit of editing on GS tonight (after I run about a dozen errands, cook dinner, do dishes, take out the garbage . . . [sigh]) Editing is another of those things that scare me. I find many things to occupy me so I don't have to do it. I will not stop this time though: I will push through and get this book published! (Did that sound convincing? Yea, I thought it was a little shaky too . . .)

Later!

No comments: