Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Teen Beast

The day is going pretty well so far. Not much writing today at lunch (just a quick read through of the "First" outline") because I was finishing up the PowerPoint presentation I'm doing for the Boy Scouts. It came out really nice. I had a lot of fun adding animations, etc. along with my commentary. Don't know if anybody else will like it but it makes me laugh! (which is -after all- what really counts, right?) Scout meetings tonight, so probably no work tonight either but one never knows. The wife is actually coming to the meeting tonight, she volunteered to run our popcorn fund raiser this year and needs to talk to the adults about setting it up. Should be interesting to have her there. She's still on the fence over this whole Scouting thing. She likes the program and what we do but she is not happy with how much of my time it takes up. I'm hoping that, being involved herself, will give her a better perspective about it. (If not, I'll at least get to laugh at her as she scrambles to get this thing running, so it's good either way!)

We had another contractor come in last night. We liked this guy: he actually walked through the project and discussed every phase of it with us. He even had some input and suggestions on how to make things easier. He's still crunching numbers so we have no idea what his prices will be like but I think both the wife and I would like to work with this guy, so I hope his numbers are good!

So, my boy is actually twelve years old now. He is just on the cusp of becoming a teenager and last night he gave my wife the old: roll-the-eyes-in-an-exasperated-teen way and muttered "God!" under his breath when she told him to do something he didn't want to. Ah yes, here comes adolescence! Well, being the wonderful dad I am, I did what any of you would do . . . I picked him up, threw him on his bed, and proceeded to tickle him and play the bongo on his head until he giggled out an apology to his mother. (Okay, so Dr. Spock I ain't!) I can't really complain. He is a very cool kid who really doesn't give us a hard time over anything. He talks to us constantly (oh, and I do mean constantly!!!) about what's going on in his life and I don't think he could lie to us if he tried. All in all, I think we're pretty damn lucky as far as the kidling goes.

Just thinking that I might have time to print out the first few queries after the meeting tonight (provided I get home early enough!) Yes, I'm still procrastinating on it. It is a very big -very frightening- step. I'm going to feel like crap if they all come back as rejects. (I know, I know! Keep trying, don't give up . . . but I hate rejection. Good career choice for me huh?) I really will get them out this week. I think I'll ask the wife to help me get all the addressing, labeling, envelopes, etc. all put together. She's great at that sort of stuff.

Anyway, I'm out for now.

Later!

No comments: