Monday, August 08, 2005

Good Book, Good Show, BAD Monday!

(sing along with me now!)

Monday, Monday!
Can't stand that day!
Every other day, every other day of the week is fiiinneeee yea!
But whenever Monday comes you can find me cryin' all of the tiiiiiiime . . .

Oh, alright . . . so that's not the actual words, but you get the drift. It is once more that most despised of days and I am ready to start carving large chunks of flesh off the backside of anyone foolish enough to wish me a "Good Day" (or say "hello" for that matter!)

The weekend was both good and bad. Good (from my wife's standpoint) in that I finally finished working on the bathroom, getting all her decorations, towel holders, hooks, lights, etc. installed. Bad (from my standpoint) in that I got no writing of any type done. I was even limited on brainstorming for "Alex" as I worked because my wife and I were arguing about what needed to be done and how. I can not write when I'm pissed off. It just doesn't go for me. I need to be reasonably calm when I'm writing or else everything comes out in clipped, angry description that I have to cut anyway. Anybody else like that? I've heard that some folk can actually use writing to calm them down when they're mad. I'm just the opposite. If I try, I get even more pissed because the person whose idiocy set me off is now keeping me from writing. I've learned it's a vicious cycle so I just steer clear of writing when I'm ticked.

Anyway, the bathroom is done and now we're moving on to major renovations of the rest of the house. Thank (Insert deity name here) that I don't have to do the actual work this time. I've finally reached a point in life where I can pay other unfortunate schlubs to do the grunt work for me. I can't tell you how happy that makes me! Still, this means mutual decision making and compromises with the wife. Never our strong suit I'm afraid.

I didn't get my laser printer over the weekend either (same reasons stated above!). I'm hoping to get it tonight or tomorrow but I shall not hold the proverbial breath. I did manage to get some reading done (easy way to ignore wifey when we're both mad!) I picked up "Gods Old and Dark" by Holly Lisle, the third book in her "World Gates" series. It was a great read! I love the whole concept behind this series, it's a wonderfully original and creative magic system. My only question (and Holly, if you're reading this, please feel free to post a comment) is:

Where is the next damn book?????

I only see three available anywhere and Holly has not posted anything recently about continuing the series. That does not please me! I really want to hit the end of this story line. I sincerely hope there are more coming down the line.

Watched BSG on Friday - the show just keeps getting better! My son went digging through our old video tapes to pull out my copy of the original pilot episode from the 1st series. He found it interesting but said that it couldn't hold a candle to the new show. I agree whole-heartedly! I loved the original, but the new BSG has a much stronger story line and better developed characters. I also love the new Starbuck character. Having a woman as the out-of-control hard drinking, hard hitting, sex fiend is a great change of pace. The character is also perfectly believable and remarkably likeable. (Katee Sackhoff isn't exactly hard on the eyes either!)

Ah well, work - and Monday - summon me.

Later!

No comments: