Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Another Day in the Life

Sorry about yesterday's lack of a post but it was a choice between 20 minutes of work on "First" or 20 minutes posting. Sorry to say, you all lost out on that vote. (I know! I feel terrible about it too!) The day at work was crazy and I only had enough time to scarf down a sandwich as I typed with my free hand. (I don't recommend this. Not only is it hard on the wrists but you keep dripping tuna on the keyboard . . .) I did get in about 600 words which -while sad- is still better than nothing at all.

Last night we had a contractor stop in to talk about waterproofing our basement. This was the second guy we had in and his price was less than 1/2 of the first guys for -literally- installing the exact same system! We hired him and he'll be doing the work tomorrow. It will be the first step in our renovations. The basement has been leaking since we bought the house and we can't finish the basement until it's finally dry. The wife is absolutely thrilled about the prospect of not walking down to do the laundry and finding four inches of water waiting for her . . .

We still have to meet with a bunch of regular contractors to do the kitchen and finish the basement. We actually had one who was supposed to come by at 7:00 a.m. today but of course the idiot never showed. I absolutely HATE that!! How do contractors stay in business when they never rerturn phone callss and don't show up when they're supposed to? Hell, that's why I switched from cable to satellite, folks! A little customer service goes a long way.

Tonight will be taken up moving the contents of the basement out of the way for the contractor so I don't know if I'll get any writing in. I really hope I can . . . this whole "life" thing is interfereing with my writing and it's beginning to piss me off! I really feel uncomfortable and jumpy when I'm not writing regularly. I get that sort of sickly feeling in my stomach that I get when I know I should go mow the lawn but I'm sitting on the couch watching football and eating chips instead . . . Know the one I mean?

Anyway, work is summoning me back after another short lunch. Gotta bolt . . .

Later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about feeling uncomfortable about not writing; I had three weeks of that back in July. Don't worry, the busy time'll pass. Hope the renovations go well.

Krista Heiser said...

You know, I've often voiced the same complaint about contractors. It's amazing they stay in business! When we built our house we were blessed with great contractors but we definitely had our not so good days with them, too.