Thursday, August 25, 2005

My Stupidity

The level of stupidity of which I am capable never ceases to amaze me.

I sat down last night to print out my query letter and synopsis for "Godslayer" and realized:(drum roll please!) . . . I had never finished the god damned synopsis!! Don't ask me how this happened, I have no idea. The only thing I can say is that I lost track of where I was while I was away on vacation. In any event, my silly old ass forgot that I was only 3/4 of the way through the synopsis and that it still needed much polishing. So, last night was spent finishing the synopsis and tonight will be revising it. If that goes well, I''l print them tomorrow and get them in the mail Saturday. Other than that, no writing done yesterday (or today) because I'm travelling for work. Hard to write when lunch time is spent in N.J. traffic . . .

I'm also a little bummed right now. The contractor called with his numbers for the home renovations last night and it was damn near DOUBLE what we were hoping to spend. It's looking like I will be going back to doing most of the work myself. I was really hoping -for once- to be able to pay someone and get it done in a reasonable amount of time instead of taking every weekend for the next year to do it on my own. Ah well, such is the life of a poor homeowner.

Did I mention that I got in another 2,000 words on "First" the night before last? This has become my magic number. I can crank out 2K in just about an hour without breaking a sweat. Imagine what I could do if I were working this full time! (Actually, I imagine keeping that pace for several hours a day would wear me out pretty damn quick, but I can see me doing 3000-4000 words a day without too much trouble) It's a wonderful feeling to know I can output like that consistently. Time was: if I got a thousand words in a month I was kicking ass! If you're having trouble writing regularly I suggest you do a little mental visualization. Picture your writing as any other part time job: you have to sit down and do it if you expect to get paid. If your significant other asked you to go to dinner when you were scheduled to work, you'd tell them you couldn't go and if your kids wanted to play a video game you'd say: "Sorry, I have to go to work now. We'll play tomorrow." That's what you have to do. if you don't treat it as a profession, you'll never be a professional!!! (says the guy who forgot to finish his synopsis!)

Well, it works for me anyway. Take it with a grain of salt though, as you all know I've only published one short story in my life so my opinion and a dollar might get you a cup of coffee.

Later!

No comments: