Thursday, August 11, 2005

Popeye and Girl Scouts

It's been a good writing day!

The seminar I had scheduled today was cancelled last minute, so I was actually able to sit and write over lunch. (woo hoo!) It was a solid run too: I got over 2,800 words in and I like all of 'em! It's nice to be back typing. Letting the words spill out of you onto the page (well, onto the screen actually, but you get the idea. . .) is without a doubt the best part of writing. That simple act of creation is where the real joy of this process comes in. I just feel . . . happy when I'm buzzing along on the first draft. The editing phase can be kind of fun too. It's nice to sit and polish your creation, knowing that each swipe of the cloth is making it shine a little more. The business end of writing (queries, synopses, submittals, etc.) is not so much fun. Oh, I admit I haven't that much experience with that end of it. To date I've been focused on improving my writing ability but I'm now getting into that part of the industry and to be honest . . . not too much of the fun there. Who knows? Maybe it will get better when I'm actually published! (It would definitely get better if I was published and making boatloads of cash . . .!)

Out running last night, looking at new cabinets & counters for our upcoming renovations. The wife and I actually managed to (gasp!) compromise on the type of counter we are going with. She called me a little while ago to let me know she found exactly the cabinets she wants online and I ain't arguing with her. She can have whatever she wants so long as I don't have to put that cheap-ass, ugly, formica crap on the counters! The boy was funny, he kept chiming in with what type of counter and cabinets he liked and he got the typical parental answer:

"That's nice. When you buy your own house you can put whatever you like in the kitchen!"

Is that parenting, or what? :-) I figure it's a good step above the smack in the back of the head my old man would've given me for speaking when not spoken to - so that's good, right? I'm sorry, but black countertops and blue cabinets are NOT going in my home, kid!

So while we were driving about last night, the wife and I were taking a trip down memory lane with the songs on the radio. We were telling the boy all about when we met and started dating, etc. He found that funny as hell, of course. I actally found it a bit depressing . . . there was a time (not all that long ago, dammit!) when I was thin, had hair, dressed well, could dance my ass off for hours on end, and had all the girlies lining up to tell me how cute I was. (Hey, stop laughing! I really did!) Now, I'm just this sort of big, bald, scary . . . thing! (sigh). Life is very unfair that way. The only girlies that line up for me anymore are the ones who know my fat ass will buy all their Girl Scout cookies.

Ah, screw the whining! To quote that eminent philosopher: Popeye . . .

"I am what I am and that's all that I am!"

There's philosophic gold in that simple sentence. Ponder upon it until next time . . .

Later!

3 comments:

Jean said...

Use that technique wisely. Everything my parents said I could have or do when I was out on my own supporting myself, I've gotten or done. (St. Bernards, motorcycles, pick up trucks...)

J.A. Coppinger said...

LOL . . . oh crap! I can see Harleys, tattoos, and piercings in the boy's future now!

Thanks so much for THAT added bit of worry! :-)

Later!

Jean said...

Then we'll hope his tattoos are ones you won't be ashamed to see. :) Suggest he wait until he's 30 to get a tattoo--and then only if he still really wants one. Tell him if it was up to you, he'd have one tomorrow, but you don't want to take that kind of responsibility for something he'll have to wear the rest of his life.