Monday, August 15, 2005

Rampant Insanity

Late day post for me today. Monday was a beast (as always!) with four - count 'em: FOUR - trainees to deal with all at the same time today. On top of which, we are running tight on office space and computers in the office. We are growing faster than we can keep up with!

Writing tally for the weekend: NADA!

Between shopping, working the festival, working with designers and lining up contractors: the whole damn weekend blew by. We had a great time at the festival (Okay, by "we" I mean: me!) and earned a good bit of coinage for the Troop. More importantly though, I was able to feed my fat ass with wonderful Italian food, kettle corn, roasted nuts and a home brewed ice tea that was sent from heaven! (The wife and I both loved it and intend to try making it ourselves. I'll let you know if it's worth the trouble!)

So, while I was offline Holly Lisle posted a reply to my question about where the next World Gate novel was on her site. I am not pleased by the answer! The publisher is nuts if they don't finish out this series! This is really a wonderful story line and it's the kind of series that builds a slow and steady -but very devoted- audience. I wish I knew of a way to contact the publisher (Eos if you're interested) and let them know they should pick this back up. If anybody has any thoughts on how to change their mind, drop 'em in comments. This is top-notch writing and I hate to see it left unfinished!

Holly also had another post about "Writing for Readers" which I thought tied in nicely with a post from Will over on "One of Ours" which makes mention of my realization that my wife is a reader of this blog. I think Holly has it dead to rights though: you have to be yourself and write what you think needs to be said. Doesn't matter if it's in your books, or on the blog. Writing is writing and you have to let your inner voice speak freely.

So, the boy is spending the week at his grandmother's house. He's thrilled to get a break from us and our constant parental meddling. Grammy lets him do whatever he damn well pleases, which is always far cooler than my constant nit-picking (what the hell is a nit anyway and why does one pick them?) Anyway, I miss the little urchin. He may be a knucklehead, but that boy can make me laugh! That means wifey and I get to hang out together -alone- this week. Nah, don't get any ideas (Yes, I mean you! And you should be ashamed of such thoughts! Does your mother know you think things like that?) we're going to be spending all our free time with contractors to try and get our renovations underway. We have early morning, evening, lunch, and late night appointments with every contractor between here and San Diego at this point. It will be a hectic week. Will there be any writing done? I certainly hope so, but I ain't makin' no promises!

Later!

2 comments:

Jean said...

I guess you write to Eos and tell them how much you want the rest of the series. If you and numerous other people write them asking the same thing, it might make a difference.

As for nits and why you would pick them, nits are baby lice, and I guess you want to pick them out of wherever they are growing before they reproduce?

J.A. Coppinger said...

Hmmm . . . I can definitely see the benefit of picking at nits. Why then does the phrase have such a negative connotation? One would think there would gratitude for someone who picked nits off you!

Ah, the confusions of language. . .

:-)