Friday, August 26, 2005

Freud and Patriotism

1700 words on "First" today and a sizeable chunk of the editing on the GS Synopsis done last night. That makes me happy (the fact that it's Friday don't hurt either!). I moved onto the next chapter in "First" and introduced my second MC for the first time. I really like this character! She is young black woman from a tribal culture who can see the future and has some limited magical ability. She has to abandon her society and enter a culture she has no understanding of to meet my other MC and help him save the world. If she does not, her entire race will die. The kicker is, in order to do this she has to cut herself off from them completely and she can never go back. Talk about a beggar's choice! I needed something to really focus on with this character so I did a little online browsing and came across a pencil sketch of a woman who was just . . . her! I downloaded it for reference and I've been looking at it as I write this section. it is scary how perfect that picture fits her personality. I've never tried a visual like this for my characters before. It seems to be working really nicely so far. I've already picked up a few details and character points I hadn't thought of just by being able to see her face so clearly.

It is the weekend once more, so I won't be posting for the next two days. Saturday is the second of the boy's birthday parties (that still kills me! TWO parties!) and Sunday is actually my birthday. Yup, I'll be 38 years old (which reminds me, I'l need to update the header at the top of this page!) How in the hell did that happen???? Christ, I'm pretty damn sure that I just turned seventeen last week, but the driver's license tells me no . . . (actually, so does the mirror but I think all mirrors are just an evil conspiracy by the Dark Gods of Time anyway!) Here's a scay realization for those of you in my age range (or beyond) - for most of us- we are now older than our parents were when we remember them from our childhood. Think about that for a minute, then go off and cry in a corner somewhere.

More contractors last night and tonight, and the possibility of paying someone to do my basement is fading further and further away. Looks like I'm not old enough to beg off the home construction work yet. I'll be down there swinging hammers and cursing like a drunken sailor over all the things that won't work the way I think they should. I am so NOT looking forward to that! Ah well, it'll all be fine so long as the wife stays away from the construction area. There is nothing certain to fuel a fight between us faster than her walking into the room after I've spent six hours struggling to get a pipe through the wall and having her ask: "Why is it taking so long? Are you sure you know what you're doing?" or even worse: "I don't like it there. Can we move it?"

Two words: "Justifiable Homicide".

To be fair, I am just not good at taking criticism from the significant other. Other folks can point out my mistakes and shortcomings all day long - no problem! When the wife says even the most casual criticism though, it goes right up my spine. Yea, I know: it's an insecurity thing. I need constant reinforcement from the person I love the most to validate my sense of self-worth. (how's that for a load of Freudian crap?) Honestly though, I definitely respond unfairly to her smallest statement but I don't know how to stop. Oh well, after 15 years, she's learned to deal with it. She flips me the bird, calls me an asshole, and we move on. Now that is a successful marriage!

Just a quick aside here . . . I was watching the news last night and they were covering Cindy Sheehan and showing a bunch of people with different opinions of her protest outside the President's ranch. I had to take umbrage with one elderly woman's statement. She said:

"This woman is saying that America is not worth fighting and dying for! I can't accept that!"

That pissed me right the fuck off. Cindy Sheehan has said nothing of the sort! This woman's son joined the military and made the ultimate sacrifice. Let's not question the Sheehan family's patriotism, alright? More importantly, I don't think Mrs. Sheehan is saying any such thing. I'd bet money she believes America is worth fighting and dying for. . . She just doesn't think Iraq is.

I agree with her.

Later.

1 comment:

SRH said...

Happy B-day