Tuesday, October 25, 2005

What I Want

So, I was just over on the Forward Motion site, checking in with my Crit Circle, and Lee had put up an absolutely wonderful post for Mel and I. It concerned her visit last week to a writer's conference and what she'd learned there. She took the input she got from agents, editors, etc. and applied it to our work to give us a sort of vicarious feel of what the industry is looking for. It was well done and very much appreciated! Thanks, Lee!

I've never been to a writer's conference. I never even really gave serious thought to going before but after hearing about Lee's experience I may need to rethink that. She had opportunities to meet and talk to a number of pros in the industry and came away with a whole new perspective on what we're trying to accomplish. She talked to us about the problems of "writing blind" (without a clear idea of current markets, trends, and needs) which is what we've been doing so far. Some of the things she talked about may be the very issues that earned me those form rejections from the agents! Yup, I am definitely considering going to a convention. Have to find one local, that I can aford, of course. I'll let you know what I come up with.

I'm not even going to try writing this week. I'm waiting till Nov. 1st, then kicking into high gear with NaNo. Too much craziness going on right now and I can't seem to focus on the work at all. It's been a super-productive writing year so I'm no begrudging myself a short vacation. I wish I'd had more success with the publishing end of things, but I did have one short story accepted so it wasn't a complete bust. I really think I need to learn more about the business end of things. I think the work is professional quality (after proper editing!) but I have this feeling that I'm just making stupid mistakes and oversights on things like marketing and presentation. I need to study this more closely. I've always assumed that if I wrote well enough, the market would find me, ya' know? I am coming to realize that's not the case. I need to become more aware of what the industry is buying and actively pursue the career from a business standpoint more than an artistic pursuit.

I want to be published. Not because I intend to be famous or wealthy. I understand the industry well enough to know the odds against that! My reasons are much simpler: I want to be published because I want people to read my stories. A lot of people. I love books and I've learned most of the important lessons of my life from them. They've helped shape me into the person I am. I'd like to do that for someone else. I'd like to know there was a lonely teenager out there somewhere who read my book and for just one moment felt better about himself because someone out there "got it" besides him. A goodly number of authors did that for me and I'd like to pay a little of that back. That's why I'm here. That's why I do this. That's what I want.

Later!

5 comments:

SRH said...

I sincerely wish you massive amounts of luck in this. Mainly cause I will beg and plead for a signed copy of whatever you have written and then sell it for big bucks on ebay.

Really I do hope the best for you. Mainly because you seem to really be going about this the correct way, in my opinion. You are not banking on fortune and fame due to your authorship, you just want people to read what you have written.

SRH said...

by the way did you know that a snippet of your review of "Tayln" is featured prominently on Holly Lisle's sight? Just Curious

Rowan said...

Holy Smack! Your last paragraph is the exact reason I am doing this, but never quite articulated it. I have a 1000+ volume library of stories, many of which have sustained me though some rugged times (at least as far as I was concerned), and the whole idea of paying forward by giving someone a pocket world of hope, struggle, triumph and sacrifice is it. It's just IT. Just as so many stories did for me. Thanks for putting the words to it.

J.A. Coppinger said...

SRH - No, I didn't know Holly had linked to me on her homepage. I usually jump into her site at the blog level, so I never saw. she's more than welcome to though, I'm glad I can do anything to help her out. Her site's done a ton for all us wannabees . . .

Rowan - Whew! I'm glad to hear that! I though I was the only nut job who thought that way. :-)Try explaining that to most folks and they back slowly away with their hands in the air . . .

Later!

Rowan said...

Well, they do say writers are insane, don't they? [backing away slowly while maintaining eye contact...] :-)