Monday, October 17, 2005

Le' Crazy!

My friggin' head is spinning.

The weekend was a unique form of crazy that defies description. There is something horrifically wonderful about having complete strangers come into your home and rip it apart. An emptiness of heart combined with a pulse-thumping anticipation of good things to come. Intermixed of course with the omnipresent fear that one is about to be royaly hosed by said strangers.

In other words: my kitchen and basement have now been completely (and I mean complete in the sense of: nothing left but the block walls!) gutted by the contractor. No turning back now. There is much happiness in the fact that I was not the one who had to rip out and haul away that much plaster and lathe. There is also much nervousness in that I have never befoe hired a contractor to do any work on my house and I am not sure what to expect. So far (three days in) it seems to be going well but part of me is waiting for that inevitable moment of contractor hell. You know . . . the moment when he tells me he found steel lined footings, that will require explosives to remove, right in the path of my new water line and that will be a 15 gagillion dollar upcharge?

Yea, that moment.

When I do this stuff myself, it's frustrating and time consuming but at least I'm sure I'm not screwing me. (unlesss of course I've been at the Killian's, then all bets are off!) Let's just say that renovations are very stressful. Our fridge, microwave, plates, and food are all scattered about my living room at the moment and I prepared lst nights dinner on a small cutting board on the coffee table. Yay! I can see many trips to fast food places in my immediate future. Writing is going to be sparse over the next few weeks as I get all this done. I'm running home at lunch to see how the contractor's doing and answer any questions/problems that come up and writing at home . . . hell, you'd have to see the wreck that was once my office to believe it.

Good news is that once this is all done, I will have my very own PRIVATE office in the basement (fully finished, too!) and won't have to share space with the guest bedroom/library/storage room/all-around dumping ground for the family that I've been doing to date. It'll be small, but it'll be just for me so that will be a very cool thing. It will be nice to have a room where I can spread out books, maps, outlines, sketches, manuscripts, etc. and not have to worry about them being lost or damaged. (Or getting yelled at for being a slob by the wife!)

So as you can see, I have a bad case of the crazies right now but hopefully I'll come through it in one piece. NaNoWriMo is just around the corner, I HAVE to get through it by then or I'll never make it this year! Doubt the house will be finished by Nov. 1st but I'll just have to make due, eh?

Oh . . . and lest I dissapoint: MONDAYS SUCK!!!!

Later!

1 comment:

Jean said...

You can't be too crazy. Monday's still suck.