Monday, October 24, 2005

Mild Monday

As far as Mondays go, this is a fairly mild one. It still sucks, but it's not doing so with the vehemence of an agitated Hoover super-vac!

The weekend was crazy: had a surprise birthday party for my brother-in-law and another party for my wife's father. Lucky me, I have developed a reputation of being able to spout B.S. on the fly (I know: you're shocked, right?) so I was elected at the last second (and I do mean: second!) to give a toast for the B-In-Law in front of all his guests. What the hell, I'm never one to let a captive audience slip by so I gave it my best. Think I did alright, I got a couple of laughs and a good round of applause when done. I'm just not sure having a rep as a B.S. artist is necessarily a good thing though. . .

Because of the construction, we had to weather the weekend without heat in our house, which did not make wifey happy. And as we all know: if wifey ain't happy . . . !!!! Luckily, the temps weren't too bad, mid 50's all the way through but it was a convenient thing for my wife to focus her stress and frustration on, so I didn't hear the end of it. (nor will I, now that I was stupid enough to bring it up for public discourse!) The ruin that was once our home has her a bit freaked right now so I'm trying to be the patient, kind, understanding hubby (and failing miserably, by her lights!) I am hoping that she makes the connection between the stress levels of having the place torn apart for a few weeks and rebuilt by professionals and the months stress she would have had if I'd done this myself (as she wanted) Shall I hold my breath while waiting, do you think?

Writing has hit a complete standstill. The home office is a wreck that I can't work in and my laptop tanked again on Friday (hence: no post!) so I wasn't able to bring it home as I'd intended. This last week of October is gonna be crazed and November ain't looking wondrous either, but with NaNo hovering I'll have to make the work happen. I DO NOT intend to miss the mark, it got me kicked off right last year & I plan on doing it once again - successfully!

Here's a bizarre thing: remember I wrote a few weeks back that I dreamed about my first girlfriend and was freaking because I hadn't seen her in over 20 years? Get this: she contacted me the other day via e-mail to see if I was going to our 20 year reunion! How weird is that? It was nice to hear from her. She's doing well, and has 9 year old little girl of her own. Strangely, she's been working no more than three miles from my house for all these years and I had no idea. She's also been working with my wife's best friend, again: no idea! Strange world, huh? Not planning on going to the reunion, there's only two people I'd be interested in seeing there -of which she is one- and the other is a long time friend who I just need to pick up the phone and call at any point to get together (which I never do - I really suck at keeping in touch with people!) Maybe we'll get together for lunch or something as soon as the schedule lightens up a bit.

Ah well, I have a trainee in this week so I gotta run.

Later!

1 comment:

SRH said...

There are only 2 people I keep in copntact with from high school as well. There was a third, but she stopped corresponding to me when she found out I married someone of a different color. No loss for me.

Anyway... call the friend and have lunch. It is good to have friends to do that stuff with.