Thursday, May 12, 2005

Poems, Publishing, and Mummies

Damn, is it Thursday already? Cool! Bring on the friggin' weekend!

This is going to be a very fun weekend. The wife and I are taking the boy and two of my nieces (absolutely wonderful girls!) to hit the major museums in the city. ("the city" is Jersey-speak for NYC) My oldest niece is a complete freak for Egypt in any form and she's dying to see the exhibits at the Met. She and the wife are already planning on paying whatever ridiculous fee they charge to see King Tut when he comes around this way. I'm not thrilled at forking over major dinero to see a gold plated box with some dead guy wrapped in kleenex inside it but sometimes (okay, most times) you have to give the ladies in your life what they want.

Knocked out another complete chapter of type-in on GS last night. Almost screwed up royaly though: I added two paragraphs at one point because my line edits didn't make sense, only to discover just as I was finishing up that I'd already written four paragraphs in my notebook to fill in there and forgot to mark it on the manuscript. (My genius staggers you, doesn't it? Come on, admit it . . .) No writing on "Fish" today. I just didn't have the words inside me for such dark doings. Instead, I wrote a poem (Yea, I do that sometimes. Not well, but I do it!) to submit for a contest over on Silent Bounce. Holly is giving away a signed copy of her Advanced Reader Copy of "Talyn", her latest and greatest. I thought that would be a very cool thing to have so I quick threw together a short poem on the subject she laid out for the contest and submitted. I have no delusions about winning (I'm a novelist, not a poet!) but what the hell . . .

I'm planning on doing more work on GS tonight (the TV junkie inside me is fighting though. It wants to see "Survivor" and "The Apprentice") Ah well, I'm sure I'll find a compromise position in there somewhere. I'll try to get on the computer right after dinner, and then finish out after the shows are over. I was looking over my Writing Diary (an excel spreadsheet actually) that I keep on the home system last night and I was thrilled to see that YTD: I have written over 500,000 words! That is 3-1/2 novels and counting. I like this writing every day thing. It really makes a big difference! (Well, duh!) Now I need to move on to publishing. Still terrified of the potential rejection there, BTW . . .

Later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I was so excited when I finished my first novel that the first thing I did was send it out to each and every publisher/agent that I came across. In my deluded little mind I thought that just because I finished a novel, it would be everything they could want and more. . . boy, did I have another thing coming. It took a lot to get past the numerous rejections I received, but in the end, it taught me to keep going. Don't worry, we can start another thread for rejections/successes in our crit circle when we start getting some.

The most important thing to remember is, and I think I might have got this from Holly Lisle's site:

Published Writers are Persistent Writers.

Hope that helps somewhat.