Friday, May 06, 2005

Lovin' and Livin'

Lovin' life and livin' large: that's me today!

It's Friday and I'm pumped to get the hell out of work and do the whole weekend thing (even though the weatherman says rain Sat. & Sun.) Rain means no yard work and that means more writing time for me! YAY!

Holy Crap! The Sugarhill Gang is on the radio, doing "Rapper's Delight" right now. Damn, I haven't heard that in years! Sad thing is, I'm singing along (badly) with the song and I still remember every word. See, that was when rap was good, back with Run DMC, Curtis Blow & TSG . . . (Beasty Boys were cool in the day too!)

I have another trainee in at work today, so no writing at lunch for me. Summer sucks in that regard, we have all new interns and such starting and it really eats into my writing. My Evil Overlord (read:boss) thinks that I should be doing his work, just because he signs a paycheck for me every two weeks. Damned inconsiderate, if you ask me! I think the world would be a much happier place if the EO's would just pay us to do whatever we damn well please!

Taking the boy to see "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" this weekend. I saw it already and I found it entertaining. Not the best film ever made (and nowhere near as funny as the books!) but worth a few chuckles. He's been reading the books and he wants to see it so we'll leave the wife at home (Woman has no sense of humor! She doesn't even smile at Monty Python! I mean, really . . .) and do a dad/son day. I love the fact that I have thoroughly corrupted the boy. We share a single sense of humor. The two of us can sit and watch hours of "Stooges" re-runs with tears in our eyes while the wife just sighs at the pair of us and goes in the other room to turn on some old Audrey Hepburn film. Kids are so cool!

PBW has an interesting post today on the relationship between writers and publishers. If you follow out through the links she supplies, you'll find some very unpleasant stories by published authors who got hosed by their publisher. It's depresing as hell. The odds of becoming published in the first place suck, and if you make it you figure things are good from thereon, right? Guess not. Seems like there are assholes in every industry. (Gee, and I thought they all worked with me!) I also just finished reading her "If Angels Burn" novel last night. Damn good book! I wound up staying up until 1:30 a.m. because I couldn't put the damn thing down. I even turned down some . . . uh, you know . . . from the wife because I needed to see how it ended. (Figured we'd return to that after I was done, but she was snoring by then. Damn!) Now if that's not a testimonial to quality writing, I don't know what is!

Hoping to get a lot of type-in done tonight and during the rainy weekend. I'll be home (for a change) so I may even get a chance to post here (don't hold the breath). If not, I'll be back on my usual (gagging on the word) Monday (uuurk!) to keep you up to date on my remarkably fascinating existence!

Good weekend to all!

P.S. I just noticed that I had nearly 100 new visitors to the site yesterday from all different locations. Strange; I have no idea how they got to this blog. I've been holding a steady 30 or so regular readers with another 15-20 intermittents. Don't know where you others are coming from but I hope you like it here and decide to stick around a bit. Welcome!

No comments: