Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Bigger and Smaller at Once!

Oh man, the award banquet last night was a killer (not in a good way!) Four straight hours of awards and back patting. Even getting an award myself didn't ease the pain very much. The folks were all very nice and deserving of their awards but the MC thought he was Jay Leno doing a roast and did a five minute monologue on every recipient (even me, and we'd never met!) It would have been fine if they'd have just given us the food, said thanks, congrats, and goodnight!

I have two meetings tonight, so yet another day with no writing done. I should be able to start my GS type-in tomorrow but that'll depend on how my day goes. I have to attend a work seminar tomorrow & it's a two-hour drive each way, so I may be too whipped by the time I get home. Speaking of work, I just found out that one of the engineers I work with has been indicted for corruption and accepting bribes by the State. He's facing up to 30 years in prison if convicted. Can't say as I've ever known a felon before . . .

I was watching the news last night before bed and saw that the fiancee' in the Runaway Bride case in Georgia still wants to get married to the fruitcake woman who bolted on him. Now, I have to wonder which of them is the real loon here. On the surface one would say the woman who faked her own kidnapping to get out of the wedding (why not just say "I changed my mind"?) but after this latest revelation, maybe she had a reason. If this doofus can't figure out just how very much she wanted to not marry him, she might have a good reason for running! Would you want to spend your life married to a guy that desperate? Hell, it took police from two states, handcuffs, and a national manhunt to make her come back and he still is delerious over the prospect of marrying her. (Am I the only guy who saw "Sleeping with the Enemy" and "Fatal Attraction"?) Hell, I might just skip town myself if I had this asshole panting after me . . .

So, I have some good news on the exercise front (no, the damn scale STILL hasn't moved!). I have been working out every day for three weeks now and I feel great. I am very much stonger than when I started and I have finally (thank God!) managed to ditch the horrid back ache I had each morning as I rolled my fat ass out of bed. I am finally accepting that my body is changing for the better despite what the scale says (Bad, evil, nassssty scalesssss we hatesss them! Doesssn't we Preciousss?). I went shopping for new pants a few days before I started the workout routine and I bought jeans that were (quite frankly) too tight for me. I had to suck in the gut and squeeze to get them snapped. I also bought some cargo pants that were a size larger and only mildly snug. Yesterday, I discovered (to my pleasant surprise) that the cargoes are all way too big for me and the jeans not only snap easy, but I have to wear a belt or they'll slide right down to my ankles! That is a very cool thing!

In that vein, I made a startling discovery yesterday about myself. It seems that I am a large man. I never knew that. I mean, I knew I was fat but I never thought of myself as a large person (in the broad shouldered, big chest, way). I've always thought of myself as an average sized guy with a gut. When I got my award yesterday, the MC was talking about seeing me at the camporee this weekend and thinking what a large, forbidding, guy I looked to be. After, I asked my wife if she thought I was big and she looked at me like I had three heads. "Of course you are, idiot!" was her gentle response. (gotta love wives; they're so considerate!) Honest to God I never thought I was. She also says that with the shaved head and my size, I look like some ex-marine drill instructor, turned biker. I can live with that! It was a strange mind shift. I always felt like I should be down in the slender 170 lb. range but knew I'd never get there. My wife laughed at that and said I'd look anorexic if I ever got down that low. She figures the 200-210 range is about right for my size. That boggles me. I remember being 170 lbs and in perfect shape when I was younger so I figured that's where I belonged. It wasn't until my wife asked how old I'd been at the time that I realized I was only 16! I was a late bloomer and didn't really finish growing until I was 19-20. I had already put on some excess weight by that point so I just assumed it was me getting fat, not necessarily "growing".

Okay, so a genius I'm not. It is really cool to me though. I'm looking around today and for the first time ever noticing I'm at least tall as -and usually broader in the chest and shoulder- than most of the guys I work with. Guys I think of as being "big" are really about the same size as me. Don't get me wrong, I'm still way overweight; just not as badly as I thought. That is definitely a thought to lighten your mood. Especially when the damn scales aren't moving a millimeter!

Later!

No comments: