Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Back in the Saddle Again

I am (I hope!) back in the normal swing of things now though it may be just wishful thinking at this point. I am coming off two back-to-back 65+ hour work weeks, and a ridiculous amount of family commitment mixed in with it. The family junk will keep me running through July but I think the workload may slow down to something approaching reasonable levels again now. (Though that's subject to change without notice, of course!)

Very strange thing happened last night - the wife asked if I was getting back to writing now that the work press is easing up. I said I was and she was actually glad to hear it! (I Damn near passed out!) Seems she thinks I am a wonderful writer and believes I'll be succesful someday. Her only problem with my writing has been the on/off again relationship I've had with it in the past. The wife has a distinct: "Shit or get off the pot" attitude about most things. The woman has little patience with folks who talk instead of doing. All this time I thought she hated my "little hobby" and it turns out she just wanted me to stop talking about it and do it. She was super supportive; telling me how proud she was of how much hard work I've been doing lately and asking if there was anything she could do to help.

Well, that just about proves I'm a frikkin' idiot, huh?

Have to tell you: that really meant a lot to me. Wives can be very cool things to have (unless of course they are shopping with your credit card and/or requesting lawn maintenance!) It was really nice to hear that she believes in me and thinks I really do have talent. Hearing that from her was (almost) as good as being published.

I'll be working through lunch at work for a while so my routine will shift to writing at night exclusively but I don't think it will slow me down too much. It's summer now which means TV sucks anyway so I shouldn't get too distracted & I'll be able to get a good bit done (one hopes!)

My son marched as part of the Color Guard in the local Memorial Day Parade yesterday. He took it very seriously and thought it was a great honor. I'm glad to know that even at his age (11) the boy understands the level of sacrifices that have been made for him by folks wearing uniforms. All in all, the weekend was nice, despite working Sunday & Monday both. I managed to go to my brother's bachelor party (nice to see the bro's. but decidely lame.) Went to a BBQ at my best friend's on Saturday. Haven't seen him in over a year. That doesn't matter much though. We're tight enough that time and distance don't mean a hell of a lot. Thirty seconds after we hook up it's like we never were apart. I don't have many friends really, I'm too into my family for that, but he's the one I keep and the one that's most important to me. He's really more of a brother than a friend. It's always great to hang with him. (Though I'm a bit jealous - the SOB has a brand new Harley . . .)

Ah well, work summons me. I'll be back tomorrow with more of my fascinating life.

Later!

2 comments:

Krista Heiser said...

Your wife's support is so very cool! I hope you made sure she realized how much it meant to you to hear her say those things.

I'm quite envious, you know. My husband isn't a reader and has no interest in anything I produce. Although, I must admit he's as supportive as he can be given his distaste for the whole reading/writing scene.

J.A. Coppinger said...

In a way it's been sort of good that I was "on my own" for a while with the writing. Sticking through it alone & not having to worry about anyone's good opinion halps make the writing more yours, if that makes sense . . .

Anyway, I did let the wife know how much it meant to me. I'm glad your hubby is behind you. It'll make it that much more fun to share with him when you hit the big time!