Monday, May 16, 2005

Of Museums and Mondays

Monday once more. How depressing is that? Of course, work is being a typical Monday: seventeen waiting e-mails, four voice mails, two new trainees, three seminars I need to write up and two interviews. All of this of course, before I had even sat down and gotten my first cup of coffee for the day. In case I haven't mentioned it before: Mondays Frikkin' Suck!

The weekend was good (though a complete bust writing wise!) We made it into the city -and the oldest niece blew off her friends to come hang with the old folks! It was a very pleasant surprise! We did much walking (and shopping -yuck!) of the city and visiting of tourist type sites. Then we hit the Metropolitan Museaum of Art. The oldest niece loved it but the boy & the younger nieces were so-so on the whole thing. They dug the Egyptian exhibits and the hall of weapons & armor but the paintings did nothing for them. My wife was showing them Van Gogh and Monet and all my niece said was: "But they're ugly and blurry!"

An art critic in the making!

Now, I'm no art expert but I have to say that I am a big Renoir fan. In particular his painting "In the Meadow" always blows me away. The online image doesn't have near the effect of the original but it's still pretty cool. I also was fascinated by the examples of Kentucky Long Rifles the museum had. One of them had a barrel nearly 6-1/2 long. No wonder they were so deadly! I am also a big fan of sculpture. I am fascinated that anyone can take a big chunk of rock and create such wonderful things with just a hammer and chisel (I can create little rocks that way!). I love artisans and craftmanship: it's inspiring to see what humanity is capable of.

So, no writing at all this weekend (and tonight's not looking hopeful!) I have a hellish week ahead of me and I have a feeling I'm gonna get damn-all done. I'll actually have to take work home and cut into my writing time to get all my stuff done (how unfair is that?) Ah well, these are the things we must do for our regular paychecks, I suppose. How nice would it be to get a paycheck for the writing? Dreaming . . . keep dreaming . . .

So, it seems the poem I did for the contest on Holly Lisle's site is doing fairly well (much to my surprise!) at the moment, I am in first place. Go figure! I have actually received some e-mails this morning from folks complimenting me on the poem. That was (almost!) enough to offset the fact that today is Monday. Ah well, I have to get back to the grind. Be well, all!

Later!

No comments: