Friday, April 08, 2005

Wonkiness and Weekends

Okay, Blogger is acting wonky as hell today, so I'm not sure I'll even get this post up. (which is fairly stupid. I mean, how would you know if I don't?) Ah well, extreme intelligence I have never been accused of! I did the shopping last night for the campout this weekend and HOLY CRAP! That was a whole lot of food. It took me nearly two hours to collect it all and get out of the store. (Did I mention I hate food shopping?) Luckily, the boy came with, so it wasn't as bad as it might have been. He's always entertaining to have around (not to mention he's useful for pushing the cart!)

I added a new link (hopefully!) to the sidebar today called "One of Ours" the writer has a great post on Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series. Warning: it contains spoilers!!! If you've read these novels (and you really should, they are fantastic!) it's worth stopping by to take in a well stated reader's view.

Did some crit work over on FM and posted my next chapter of "Clans" for mutilation by my trusted colleagues. (Lee uses a hatchet, Mel just sighs and shakes her head at me!) No writing this weekend (or posts. Now, now, don't cry . . .) but I will be hanging in the great outdoors and thinking about my stories, which always helps. If there is a better way to free the mind than staring into a campfire while listening to the sound of racing water and chirping crickets, I don't know it! I always feel revitalized and raring to write after camping. (makes me glad I do it at least once a month!)

So, I was in the car with the boy yesterday, listening to my "Jesus Christ Superstar" CD (he's still hooked on it) and he was asking me why the crowds would turn against him when they'd been followers of his. He also wondered why many changed their minds later and became christians. I searched for a way to explain and settled on the Pope's funeral.

"You see those millions of folks coming to say good-bye to him?" I asked.
"Yea, they must have really loved him"
"Three months ago, half of them were yelling about what a small minded jackass he was, but today he's their hero. In another year, they'll be talking about making him a Saint."
"What?" he asked, with much confusion. "That doesn't make sense!"
"Welcome to adult life, kid!"

It's funny how hard it is to explain concepts like "mob mentality" and "revisionist history" to an eleven year old. I'm starting to miss the old days when: "Why is the sky blue?" and "Where do babies come from?" were all I had to deal with! (I actually had to look one of those answers up in a book - I'll let you guess which one!) Some of the questions he's starting to ask are disturbingly insightful. He's taken to watching the evening news with me every day and he has a lot to say on the state of the world. It's a little depressing that he's growing up so fast but I'm pretty damn proud of the fact that he has a real interest in world events and zero tolerance for the world's unfairness. (and politicians. He hates politicians. Now where'd he get that from?) I'm liking the fact that he's a responsible kid and that he wants to be actively involved in making the world a better place. That's a very cool thing to see in your child!

Later!

No comments: