Friday, April 22, 2005

Friday Rocks, Spyware Sucks!

Friday. I like Friday, it makes me happy. Even a lousy Friday is better than the best Monday that ever existed. I mean, have you ever heard someone say: "Thank God, it's Monday"? (If you have, kill them. Kill them right away! They are the spawn of Satan and will destroy all of existence attempting to free their vile master -Creator of Monday- from his infernal prison!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!)

Ahem. Sorry, I'm back now.

Payed a visit to the local bookstore last night. The wife needed to pick up a book to help plan our upcoming vacation and asked if I wanted to go to the bookstore with her. (Well, DUH!) Got two decent books off the bargain tables, one Ursula LeGuin and one Stephen R. Donaldson -both exceptional writers- and at $5.00 each (hardcover) I couldn't go wrong! Got home in time to watch "Survivor" with the boy (he loves that show) and "The Apprentice" with the wife. After that, I spent another hour working on GS. I got another 30 pages or so done. I'm getting close to the end but I have this nagging fear that I'm going to have to re-work a chunk of the ending. The way my MC gets into the bad guy's place reads like I pulled it right off the Evil Overlord List. So far today I've only done about 1,500 words on "Fish" but I'm hoping for more later on. I had a bunch of errands to run at lunch, so . . .

Paperback Writer has a post on her sight about the sell through numbers an author needs to make bestseller lists. From reading the post, I guess there are a lot of folks out there who are annoyed at her for being so honest about her numbers. In the past, she's even posted how much she gets for advances on her books and some other details on her contracts, etc. I don't understand why anyone would take offense at this. I think it's pretty damn thoughtful of her to give honest info to folks like me who are just starting out in the industry and don't have a great understanding of the reality behind the numbers. To pacify her critics, she's only giving out the numbers to people who request them by e-mail so I sent her a request. Sad isn't it? folks should be thrilled she's willing to be so open but they give her a load of crap instead. Strange world we live in . . .

I'm getting a little annoyed at my computer right now. I visited a new blog yesterday and made the mistake of clicking on a linked picture. The damn thing was infested with Spy/Adware so I had to spend a good portion of my morning cleaning it off. I thought I had it all but as I'm typing this, one of them is popping up IE windows on my screen. I HATE THIS CRAP!!!! Why don't the lawyers (who love suing everyone under the sun) sue these bastards who dump thousands of files on your system without permisson? This strikes me as a lot more criminal than say, buying drugs. At least the guy buying the drugs has a choice! I can only imagine how much time and money crap like this is costing corporations to clean up.

Later!

No comments: