Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Damn, I'm Good!

Ah, writerly dedication! I've got it by the bucket load!

I did actually manage to get in some editing on GS last night (not a huge amount- -only 10 pages or so) despite being at the COH until 9:30. After that, the wife and I relaxed and watched "The Shield". I have to laugh every time I see Michael Chiklis because back when I had (some) hair everyone told me I looked like the guy from "The Commish". That stopped after I shaved my head, then he comes back as the shaved lead on this show. (Sadly, I do not have the same physique he has now. Yet!) So for those of you who are wondering what I look like - that's it! (sort of - you need to picture him fatter, with a goatee!)

I also got into actual work on "Fish" today, got in 2,500 words which is not a bad start. I got a surprising turn of events in the scene that had me stopped cold and it just ran on from there. I'm finally getting the idea that I have to just type and let the characters tell the story. It doesn't work for me any other way. Besides, that's much more fun!

So, my son got a special award last night at his COH: they named him "New Scout of the Year". There is a separate SOTY award for the whole troop, this one is just for the guys who became scouts in the last year. He was completely shocked (and very proud) that he was chosen. I knew he was getting it but he had no clue. The look on his face when they called his name was priceless! The first thing he asked when we got home was if I had anything to do with him getting the award. He was thrilled when he found out I had no part in the vote for that award, he loved that he'd been selected on his own merits and not because I'm one of the Scoutmasters. I'm real proud of him, there are a lot of great kids in our Troop and he stood out above the rest. Moments like that are what make up a great life, ya know? He also made his 1st Class Scout rank last night as well as picking up three merit badges and a half dozen or so patches for various events we've attended. All the boys in the troop received a "Good Turn for America" patch for all the community service work they've done over the last year. It's something else to watch these kids work when they're doing something they think is important. Every year we do a service project at a summer camp in our area for disabled children. Last year the guys from our troop (ages 11-17) moved over six tons of topsoil and mulch, removed and re-built the entire flooring system for a 40'x40' cabin, and cleared weeds and bracnches from over a mile of trails . . . all in one day! For all you folks out there who worry about the future in our children's hands - hang out with a few Scouts some day and you'll sleep a lot better at night. These kids are remarkable!

I see the Catholic church elected a new Pope. I don't much care, I left religion behind me a long time ago but I am very amused by all the pictures on the Net that show Pope Benedict XVI alongside Darth Sidious. The resemblance is really uncanny! I particularly like this one. Don't think it's a good thing for them to elect a 78 year old arch-conservative though. The Church missed the boat to make some positive strides for itself by not choosing someone a bit more moderate.

So, I'm hoping to get in a few good hours of editing tonight since the only thing to distract me is a tape of last night's "Amazing Race" and I can put that on after I'm done. Gotta get moving on these edits, they're taking much longer than I wanted!

Later!

No comments: