Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Workin' It!

So, I'm off to the races with the writing again (yay!) I got in 2,300 words yesterday and another 1,000 today. I also printed out my novel "Fish" last night and put it in a three-ring binder so that I can start the editing process. I also have a small (100 page) notebook in the binder as well. Here's where I keep all my notes, re-writes, etc. as I revise. I find it easier to simply number major changes in the manuscript and refer back to the notebook. For example: if there's a three page section that needs to be re-written, I'll "X" out the pages in red and write the number (1) in a large red circle on the MS. Then I go to the notebook & make notes of what needs to be in that section/what the problem is, etc. I also use the same system to rewrite small sections (2-3 paragraphs) on the fly. It beats trying to cram the words between lines & in the margins. I just cross out the sentences/paragraphs to be re-worked and pen in the marker number. When I'm ready for type-in, I just refer to the appropriate section of the notebook as I see the entry in my MS. I still do grammar, punctuation, and single line edits right in the MS with a red pen.

The idea of the three-ring binder is that I can take the novel with me to edit anywhere. I can work on car rides (while the wife is driving of course!) or when watching tv with the family (see, and you thought commercials served no purpose!) Since I'm mainly reading through for consistency, grammar, and overall ideas in the mark-up phase, I don't need the same level of concentration that I do when writing. I leave the actual writing for the type-in phase. I have to type as I write . . . I don't do well handwriting the MS, not even for smaller sections. My hand is too slow & it gets tired (awww, poor widdle hand!). When I'm typing, I seem to float in the words without ever seeing the computer or the keyboard (which explains the many typos!)

I started the first part of the new schedule today -getting up at 5:00 am to write- the rest of it (exercise, diet, etc.) I'm going to bring in slowly, after my system adjusts to the other changes. I don't want to shock my system any more than I already am. My body damn near rebelled when I dragged it out of bed this morning . . . my legs refused to stand up, my arms hung at my sides like noodles, the eyes didn't want to open and the brain was quite happily remarking to me on what a complete and utter ass it thinks I am for getting it up so early. Small steps are the way to go, I think. I'm hoping I won't burn out or get sick from overdoing (as I usually do).

Besides, I'm reeeeaallllly dreading the exercise part. :-)

Later!

No comments: