Monday, January 30, 2006

Thank You, Miss Snark!

You know what day it is.

Need I say more?

Ah well, I'm still in a fairly good mood despite several very good reasons to b bummed. Why you ask? (Okay, I know you didn't ask, but play along, okay?) Well, my ever-curious reader: because I gots me some good news on Friday & I'm still thrilled by it. Seems the entire re-write of the query/synopsis must have done at least a little bit of good because I shot it out to a major agency that takes e-mail queries and they asked for a partial submit of "Slayer". BOO-YAH! (Have I mentioned that Miss Snark totally rocks?)

Oh, alright . . . so it's only a very minor step and just as like to lead to a polite "Thanks, but not for us" but it cheered me just the same. At least somebody finds it worth a bit of readng time! I'll let you know how it goes. Nothing yet on the two story submittals but that's cool. They always take a few weeks at least. I'm busy putting together the requested novel synopsis and pages for the moment. They wanted a shorter synopsis than I had done, so I'm editing the hell out of the thing. I think it works reasonably well, but I'm nervous that I'm not getting enough of the plot into the damn thing. Still, I'm not shooting myself in the foot by not giving them exactly what was asked for, so . . .

Much work on cleaning up the house this weekend. The contractor is still plugging away but we're starting to get within shouting distance of the finish line (I shouldn't say that, should I?) It will be great when it's all done. Even just straightened up a bit, the place is beginning to look really nice. More cleaning to be done tonight and (of course!) the contractor will be back tomorrow to make a ruin of everything we've cleaned . . . don't ask!

So it's Mon-damn-day, I'm still sick, work is crazy as hell, and I inhaled so much plaster over the weekend I'll be crapping out sheets of drywall for the next month (Now THERE'S a trick!) but I just don't care. An honest-to-god-real-agent out there thinks my work is worth looking at. that's enough to make me smile on a Monday . . . hell, I'll smile twice tomorrow! In the meantime, I get it out in the mail, daydream for a few minutes about my pending meteoric rise to authorial super-stardom (SHHHHH!!!! Don't wake me up!) and then get my fat old ass back to work on "First".

Yup, that'll do me fine.

Later!

7 comments:

Jean said...

I did ask, and hooray for you. Good on ya' for taking the criticism, doing the revision, and sending out the query.

Anonymous said...

Well done on the partial!

SRH said...

Congrats, I hope this goes further for you.

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Nothing like those up moments.

J.A. Coppinger said...

Thanks, folks!!!

Wesley Smith said...

Congrats on the partial!

Out of curiousity, was there a particular post of M. Snark's that affected your query? I ask because I'm new to the literary blogosphere and can use all the help I can get!

J.A. Coppinger said...

Wesley,

Take a look at her Synopsis/Query "Crap-o-meter" blogs and look for any of the same sins in your own work. It was a little scary how many of her rules I'd violated.

Later!