Monday, January 16, 2006

Jimmy-the-Stooge and the Blustery Blog

SHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Pretend you don't know what day it is and maybe it will go away!

"Dum-de-dum . . . Tut, tut, it looks like Tuesday!"

Sigh. No such luck.

Well, after the last few days, this vile day of the week has lost its bite (to some extent). Let's start with my post of last Thursday, shall we? I was so happy, so pleased, things on the house were JUST PEACHY! (Dumb Ass!) Did I say the contractor was moving along well? Oops.

I arrive home Thursday night to find (gasp!) he was never there on Thursday. Ok. Call his cell . . . no answer. Voice mail full. Call his office: ditto. Friday I am on the road, no chance to call him. Friday night when I get home? A No-Show once more! Call the cell again . . . no answer but I get the voice mail and go ballistic. Liberal use of colorful metaphors and vulgar language, replete with remarks on the sexual habits of his mother. Saturday . . . need you ask? Surprise though, he calls me back Sat. morning, all full of apologies and promises. Why the MIA act? Couldn't tell you. He gave a 20 min. rambling explanation that I didn't bother listening to. I just gave him a deadline, told him if he wasn't done by then he's out and he knew I damn well meant it. If he wants the rest of his money, he WILL get this damn job done. God news: he just called me and they're on site today. Doubt they're doing much, but at least they're there . . .

So, for the rest of the weekend I was playing IT Geek. I got the new laptop in, as well as a wireless router and an extra wireless card for my boy's system. I had to install the hard drive from my old system into my son's desktop, install the wireless card, set up the laptop and router, get the WN online, verified, and secure, then copy all our needed files onto the laptop. Then I spent a few hours getting the file/printer sharing working, followed by more time setting my son up with his own e-mail account and wireless internet connections. Follwing that, I had to pull apart the old mass of wires, monitors, printers, speakers, etc. that were left from the old system and arrange the new setup neatly in the space we are using for an office right now. I spent nearly two full days crawling under desks, running between rooms, cracking open cases, and installing hardware. As I did so, the wife and boy went to her sister's for a relaxing day of play and chatting. No problem there, but I would have appreciated not having her give me attitude for not cleaning the house or taking out the garbage while I was home "relaxing" all day. Word to all the ladies out there: just because you're not around to supervise us does NOT mean we were sitting on the couch all day, watching reruns of "The Man Show", scratching ourselves, and swilling beer. Take a minute to look at what was accomplished before you start complaining, eh?

I thank you on behalf of men everywhere.

Writing . . . nothing over the weekend but I got 2,700 words at lunch today so I'm pleased about that. Still a bit depressed over the "Is this worth all the time and effort?" thing but that sems to come and go with the wind so I'm learning to just ignore it and keep typing. Whining accomplishes nothing (except perhaps to annoy you poor folks reading this blog!) so I'll pass on it and just say I'm NOT going to give up the work, even though it does get hard some days. I actually have some ideas about really moving the professional career forward. I won't bore you with them now but if they work out as I hope, I'll definitely fill y'all in on the details.

And finally (for all those who caught the reference in my opening statement) TTFN!

Later!

3 comments:

Pixel Faerie said...

Could I borrow your IT Geek-ness? I've got a computer that's fried but I've got novel bits on it. How do you take a harddrive out and put it into a new computer? Hmm...

Anyways, keep writing sugar. ;)

And you know the rule... if you load the dishwasher, and a woman isn't there to see it, it never happened. ;)

Okay, I'll shut up. :p

J.A. Coppinger said...

Yes! Word of my Geek-nees spreads! Soon I shall rule all of Geekdom. BWAHAHAHAH!!!

Ahem.

Sorry, I'm back now.

Actually, changing a HD is simple, just crack the case, find the HD you already have and look at the cables. On older systems you will have one wide gray strip that connects to the motherboard and one 4-5 wire prong connector that comes from the power supply. Usually, there is a second connector bar (black plastic thingy) in the middle of the ribbon (gray) cable. Plug the new HD into this, then find one of the spare (usually 2-3 available) prong connectors off the power supply and plug it into the back of the new HD.

Most systems have open bays (holders) for extra HD's, just slide it into one of these & secure it via the screw holes on the side. The only confusing thing can be the drive jumper (little white plastic piece that connects two pins on back of HD.) You will need to check the users manual, or the MFG's web site to find the correct pin connection to make this a "Slave" (read: secondary) drive.

If you have a very new system, you MAY be able to just pull the cables from your CD/DVD drive & plug them into the same spots on the new HD. That's temporary though, you'll want to pull the HD after you get your files & reconnect the CD/DVD drive.

Here's a site that shows some good pix of what I'm nattering about:

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-hard-drive.htm

Hope it helps!

Later!

Pixel Faerie said...

Ooh. o.O That's a harddrive? I thought it was the complicated looking thing in the back.

Sweet. Thanks for the info. Now I can spend the rest of my morning not writing and installing hard drives. :)