Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Mistakes and Exploding Heads

'Ello, all!

2,400 words in for "First" today. Not too bad for a lunch hour . . . The only issue I have right now is that I made a MAJOR mistake in my outline and what I've done so far. See, my MC wound up banished to the ass-end of nowhere because of something extraordinarily stupid he did for what he "thought" was the love of his life. This woman comes back into the story later (after he meets the real Mrs. MC, of course!!) and I only just now realized I have not put in one word about their relationship. Oh, I've done a good bit of build up on the mystery of the actual event that got his ass in the sling but the good old love-lorn, broken heart stuff? Nada! That level of stupidity astounds even me (and I KNOW what a dumb-ass I am! You folks are only just GUESSING I'm a dumb-ass!) Ah well . . . there's always editing!

House is being worked on once again (though for how long, not even God is willing to say. I called the old fellow last night and he said omniscience only goes so far . . .) The contractor swears he'll be done by next Monday (and the check's in the mail and I promise I won't . . . well, you know the rest!) Big thing is, he has to have the kitchen portion done tonight because the counters are being installed tomorrow morning. Listen for an ungodly loud noise at about 10:00 a.m EST tomorrow . . . that will be my head exploding when the counter guys arrive and he's not ready for them.

Boy Scouts tonight. My son is still grounded from attending until he squares out the grades but he's been (seemingly) doing much better so he should be back at it in a few weeks, once I get his next report card. I'm still working with the troop in the interim, though I have taken a lesser role than the one I was supposed to take. They wanted me to be the next Scoutmaster but I just never felt comfortable with that role . . . not enough experience outdoors or with the program in general, ya' know? We got another sucker . . . um, I mean volunteer, to take that position and I went for Committee Chair. Much less time consuming and stressful! Leaves me much more time for writing and getting the house squared away.

Here's something interesting off of PBW's site today. I don't know who the characters are truly based on but it's pretty damn funny. I particularly love the song up front. Brings me right back to High School when The Ramones were the kings, man! I'm looking forward to part II of this . . .

Exercise . . . yes, I AM still working out every day (Hah! Take that, you disbelievers!) Weight loss? Beats the hell out of me, I STILL haven't found the friggin' scale. I'm still fat if that helps you visualize better (though if you're sitting there visualizing me, you REEEEAAALLY need to get out and get a hobby!) I place myself somewhere above"Hard-Body" and somehwat below "Holy Shit, It's Coming This Way!" Vague description I admit, but it's all I've got at the moment.

Later!

2 comments:

Nienke Hinton said...

I want to know how you write 2,500 words in one hour. I'm lucky to get 500 - and that's without taking a break!

J.A. Coppinger said...

Well, it helps when you're reeeaaallllyyyy long winded! :-)

Seriously though, the key comes from just writing without stressing over the words. I can fine tune the content during edits. I find it works better to just let it free flow in first draft. I have a rough outline I try to follow and some key dramatic moments in my head I'm writing toward but other than that I just put the words down as they come to me. Sometimes they're great, sometimes they're crap, but at least I have forward progress and the crap can be cut later on.

That causes me more editing than I might have otherwise but I find for myself that I get frustrated with a project if I can't see good progress on a regular basis.

All stuff I picked up from doing NaNoWriMo . . .

Later!