Thursday, February 02, 2006

Stubborn Characters

Another 2,500 words on "First" today at lunch. It was really tough getting into it today for some reason. I had this overpowering urge to just set the entire project aside and start something completely different. Now, I know better than to ever do that. That's a perfect recipe for how to never make it in this industry! All that does it end you up with a few dozen incomplete projects (personal experience talkin' here!) and nothing completed that you might have a possibility of selling. Still, despite my brain's awareness of this pitfall, my heart wanted to stroll right on into it. Once I forced myself to push through it though, the words came without any (major) problems. Actually, they took a bit of a turn on me. One of the characters, who I had meant to be a lead in convincing her people that the BAD THINGS are coming, decided that wasn't what she wanted to do. Instead, she's not only stubbornly refusing to accept the evidence, she's actively trying to convince everybody the BAD THINGS are most certainly NOT coming anywhere near their happy home. Now why would she do that? (Don't know yet, but I can't wait to find out!) It was just another added level of conflict that showed up out of nowhere. (More! Must have more conflict! Moremoremoremore. . . .!)

So, despite my misgivings, I parked my ass in the chair and wrote. Not on anything new and exciting but on the WIP. Funny thing is, once I started doing that, the excitement returned pretty quick. The old slogan of: "Just Do It" truly applies to writing, doesn't it? (Hmmm . . . wonder if I can use "Bo Knows" or "Where's the Beef?" in my daily life as well? Nah!)

Feeling better physically today (though I'm hacking up huge chunks of slimy green-ness here!) and I'm breathing easier. The cold seems to be fading, which is good because I don't know if my legs can take it anymore.

Wait . . . what? How does a cold affect your legs, Jim? (see, I knew you were wondering!)

Simple really: when I have a cold, I can't breathe well and when that happens I snore (or so I'm told. Not sure I believe it!) The wife equates it to the gentle tones of an 18-wheeler tearing through the room at 80 mph and smashing into the headboard. She's so sensitive!

Anyway, in an attempt to get my ponderous form to roll over and stop the snoring, my wife pokes, pushes, and prods at me. When that fails, she (naturally!) resorts to kicking me in the shins (HARD!) until I wake up and roll over. Hence . . . Jim's cold = sore legs. Simple logic, no? Doesn't do much for my night's sleep of course but hey, if the wife ain't sleepin' . . .

So, in keeping with my writing comments today, I have a question for my fellow scribblers out there . . .

What was the most unexpected turn a character took on you and how did you handle it?

Answer in comments, or on your own blog and leave a link. I'm worried that I'm the only nutcase whose characters do whatever they damn well please!

Later!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're far from the only nutcase writer around. One of mine decided he wanted to be something more interesting than a walk on leader with two lines, and got himself a secret and an entirely different life. (Cobar)

Another, more abruptly just turned around and threatened someone with a knife. (Takara)

It happens fairly rarely, but I just tend to let them do what they like; I wish they’d take more control of the story, rather than less.

Jean said...

Hubby finally got earplugs. We both sleep better now.

J.A. Coppinger said...

Mel:

More control . . . hmmm, that has never been an issue for me. My problem always seems to be more on the settings/background. The characters tend to run the show for me. I have to intentionally put in description or I tend to have page after page of dialog.

Jean:

LOL - I've suggested that but the wife thought a "throat plug" might be more beneficial . . . not to mention she could collect the insurance money that way!

Later!