Friday, February 17, 2006

A Peek At My Mania

Ahhhhhh . . . FRIDAY!! The best day of the work week.

My foray into the world of comics seems to have been beneficial, I cranked out another 2,400 words on "First" over lunch today. Good words with an unexpected bite that lead to a brand new sub-plot of revolt among the previously loyal officers of the Empire. Cool stuff! Maybe that was all I needed: a small change of (internal) scenery! I've been having much fun drawing the strip. I've completed four of them so far and the scary thing is, the more I do, the more ideas I have. It's just like writing a novel: if you're stupid enough to open the floodgates . . . all sorts of odd crap comes flying through! I figure if I get up to twenty or more of these strips. I'll start posting them. Any less than that and I'll just write it off as another temporary fad and let it go.

I'm famous for that (makes my poor wife nuts!) Something catches my imagination and I go completely over the top with it. Art, music, wood-carving, camping . . . you name it and I tend to run toward the extreme with it. Of course, the infatuation lasts for a few months, then my interest fizzles out as something else grabs my attention. This was a big problem when we were starting out together: I'd spend ridiculous amounts of money on la intereste du' jour and my wife would be supportive and understanding (boy, I miss those days!) Then she'd stroke out when I'd just set it all aside and never touch it again. Over the years, she learned to just kick me in the ass when I'd start going off the deep end and I learned to listen to her (sometimes). I try to never spend more than $100 on any passing interest and even that I limit to once or twice a year. The comic thing is good in that it's not costing me anything. I'm doing it all on the computer so I don't even need pencil or paper!

This weekend promises to be a royal bitch around my house. I will be working to complete the crap that my contractor never got to. I brought in a painter/spackler to take care of all the finish stuff for me but I need to remount some cabinets and do some plumbing & heating work to finish out the kitchen. There's a lot still to be done but (as my wife wisely pointed out!) if I take one room at a time and finish it completely, it'll go quicker and I'll feel like I've accomplished something. That's a good as plan as any, eh?

Later!

No comments: