Monday, February 06, 2006

BLAHHHHHHHHHH!

There should be a law against adults coming down with childhood ailments. It's just . . . embarrasing when a 38 year old man comes down with "pink eye". I technically have "Viral Conjunctivitis" from an upper respiratory infection but I can't shake the impression I have from childhood that it comes from "being dirty" and not washing your hands.

It's just sorta . . . ICKY!

I wouldn't say I'm compulsive or anything but I am a big fan of the cleanliness and (especially) the hand washing. I'm good for 3-4 washings of the digits each day (outside the general showering wash they get) or more, if there happens to be illness running through the office. The Doc said it was strictly from the cold and not uncommon but the very idea creeps me out.

Anyway, that was why the silence on Friday; the wife and I both took the day off to visit the Doctor because the illness was not going away. My eyes were crusted shut Friday a.m. and the wife's coughing sounded like a flock of geese with throat cancer was flying overhead. In the end, the Doc said we just had viral infections and there wasn't a damn thing to do but ride it out. He offered to write prescriptions but told us they really wouldn't do anything. I liked that. He was honest. Too many Docs just shove meds at you to justify the cost of the visit. I'd rather not throw unecessary chemicals into my system, thanks. (Unless, ya' know: they're mind altering!)

The weekend was mostly us convalescing on the couch. Even the boy caught something and did a few choruses of "The Technicolor Yawn" at the porcelain microphone on Sunday. Not a particularly good weekend.

Today at work has been crazy (It's Monday, what else should I expect???) The e-mails and workload that are waiting for me after an unexpected abscence are just ridiculous. It's really sad how much stuff I deal with on a daily basis. Generally, I don't notice it because I'm taking each problem as it comes in but when you see it all in one big lump it leaves you thinking: "No way in hell do these people pay me enough!"

So, in the giant game of writing the score is:

World - 1
Jim - 0

For today anyway.

Later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, at least you're feeling better? Or not?