Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Writing Addiction

I never knew writing was addictive.

I found out last night that when it's going well, it's damn hard to stop! I got onto the type-in for GS, intending to do only an hour or so of work because I had a load of crap I had to do for the day job (brought the ol' laptop home & everything!) Four hours later I realized I had never quite gotten to the work I needed done for a noon seminar today. No biggie I guess - -I got up a bit early today and got it done before heading to the office. It was really cool though to push through that much work and not even realize how long I'd been typing away. I was having a blast! I got nearly a hundred pages of edits done and added in another 5k of new stuff out of my notebook. I have no idea why I enjoyed it so much, I just did. Normally, edits are low on my pleasure list (somewhere just above tooth extraction) but this novel is really coming out the way I want it to. Maybe that's the key: doing the edits correctly and in some reasonably organized manner. Never tried that before! (Okay, so brilliant I ain't!)

Got a bunch of nice e-mails and congrats from folks on my poem yesterday. Even the wife was thrilled and gushed for a little bit about how talented I am (gushing wives are very good things!). All in all, the whole process was a very nice ego boost for me and I'm really looking forward to getting Holly's ARC of Talyn. I've read the frst two chapters on her site and they are fantastic!

Tonight is a Boy Scout night, so there will be little writing done. That's alright though, I always have fun working with the kids so it's a fair trade off. I need to really start working on my agent query now. GS is at the 70% mark on the type-in and I want to start sending them out the moment it's ready. (have I mentioned this scares me? Oh wait -only about a dozen times. Okay, moving on then . . .) I haven't done more than 2-3 thousand words on "Fish" in the last two weeks, just been too damn nuts around here. Hopefully that'll ease up soon and I can get back on it. I'm down to the last two chapters, then I'll put it aside to rest as I start on my next project.

Well, I have to get hustling for work right now. I've been printing out several hundred pages of handouts as I typed this and they should be done now . . .

Later!

3 comments:

Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

I loved your poem. Very good stuff. BTW, did you know that Luna is looking for fantasy writers? You don't need an agent to submit to them

http://www.eharlequin.com/cms/learntowrite/ltwArticle.jhtml?pageID=030317wu01001

J.A. Coppinger said...

Thanks!

I swung by the Luna site but I don't know that my work fits the "Strong Female POV" mold they're looking for.

Later!

Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Well, judging from your great poem, I'm sure you could write anything. If you write a kick-ass chick fanstasy book I'd buy it!

C.E Murphy has one out right now. It looks really interesting called 'Urban Shaman'. It's modern day but it is fantasy. I'll pick it up when Borders sends me a coupon in the eamil *grin*

Happy writing!