Thursday, June 02, 2005

Poetry, Quotes, and Time Off

Hey, I just stopped in over at Silent Bounce and saw that the poem I submitted for Holly's contest has made her finalist list. That's a very cool thing!! There's a poll on the sidebar for folks to vote for their favorite entry so if you're in the mood, stop in and read a few of the posts on "Rediscovering Honor" (No, you DO NOT need to vote for my entry! though it is called "Tuesday 8:45 a.m." in case you were wondering . . .) I have to say that all the entries are very powerful stuff. There's some fine writing and powerful images in those submittals. I'm very honored to be listed among them.

I did a good bit of type-in for GS last night . . .HEY! Maybe one of you fine readers can help me out with something. I wanted to use a quote in the book that my old man used to give me all the time, It goes something like: "It's better to be robbed at the point of a gun than the point of a pen" (paraphrasing here) and I tried to find it -or anything similar- all over the WWW with absolutely no luck. Anyone have any idea who said this? I'd always thought it was Shakespeare but I couldn't find it. Drop a comment on this post if you have any clues. Thanks!

Anyway, the writing went well, even though night is not my most prolific time. I am definitely a morning writer (which is very odd, since I am definitely not a morning person!) I work best between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. After that it becomes something of a chore. I'll just have to suck it up for now though, I have no time at work to write during lunch.

I was thinking about it last night and I realized I need a few days off - SOON! I haven't had a single day off work since December. Even most of my holidays (ala, last weekend!) I've wound up working on. Weekends are either spent working on the house or running after 30 or so Boy Scouts. I need a few days to just relax, read, maybe write a little, and recharge the batteries. Father's Day is coming up but that weekend is already fully booked so no rest there. I do have two days scheduled for the end of this month and I'll be taking the family on a mini-vacation so that will definitely help. I just have to push through until then. In the meantime I'll just keep writing and doing my best to entertain you: my fellow travelers on the way to publishing fame and fortune!!

Later!

3 comments:

Krista Heiser said...

Congrats on making the finalist list!

J.A. Coppinger said...

Thanks. I was pretty thrilled when I saw I'd made it that far. Poetry not being my usual deal, it was doubly cool!

Later!

Jean said...

That's a tremendous poem. Congrats for making the finalist list.