Tuesday, June 14, 2005

STREEESSSSS!

Seems the powers that be have determined my life is not yet stressful enough. Just for chuckles, they have thrown in some serious family illness.

My father-in-law is in the hospital today. He has to have an Angiogram to see why his heart is beating at over 200 beats/minute. While doing that, the Doc's will be checking his lungs as well because they're pretty sure he has lung disease of some kind. Fun, huh? Just to make it interesting, his cardilogist has had him on blood thinners to slow the heart rate but forgot to tell him that he had to stop taking them last week so they could do the procedure today. (All those years of medical school and they never taught him to use a phone?) Anyway, they pumped my F-I-L full with 4 pints of frozen plasma to thicken his blood up again. The poor guy's been sitting in the hospital for over nine hours now, waiting for a "simple" procedure that was supposed to take less than an hour and they still haven't told him when he'll be going in. The wife (as you can well imagine) is going bat-shit! She just called me at work and she's ready to start tossing medical practitioners from the hospital roof if someone doesn't resolve this quickly. Man, I really hate when she does that. It's such a pain bailing her out of prison for Doctor-cide . . .

Got a sizeable bit of GS done last night. (the wife was running about like a mad woman, cleaning house to keep her mind off her dad's procedure today so she didn't hassle me) I'm having a rough time getting back into "Fish". I'm down to the final, climactic, scene where the two heroes come face to face with their childhood nightmare as adults and one of them dies. It's the last scene of the book and I can't seem to get it started. Something about it is not clicking for me. Maybe I need to step back and figure out why, huh? Either that, or just stop screwing around and get the damn thing down on paper. I'm not sure which is the right thing to do, so I'm in limbo on it for the moment.

Tuesday is Scouts night. I never get any writing done on Tuesday. Tonight will be especially busy because we have an Eagle Scout BOR and I'm setting everything up for this years Summer Camp at the end of July. Much paperwork and logistical type stuff to be done! On top of that, I'll have to do all the dinner/dishes/housework stuff because the wife is likely to still be at the hospital till late tonight. So, another peaceful evening in the Coppinger household!

That's it for now. I'm off to see how far behind I've fallen over in my Crit Circle and hopefully catch up on my backlog. You know, I am finding that this whole "work" concept is interfering with my writing life. That just has to stop! (I wish!)

Later!

5 comments:

SRH said...

The climactic scene in Fish seems to be giving you some issues about getting it to resolution. Are you sure it is supposed to play out the way that you are intending? It sounds to me, the abject non-writing novice that I am that the plot might be telling you to go someplace else. Just a thought from someone who knows no more about the story than what you have written here.... Good luck on resolution.

As for stress, I have found that when it rains, it pours.

Holly said...

My best wishes to your father-in-law. I hope everything turns out all right.

Congrats on the writing moving along, though.

J.A. Coppinger said...

Holly - thanks on both counts. The FIL is doing well, and the main reason the work's moving is because I read some genius lady writer's "One Pass Revisions". :-)

SRH - I'm thinking along the same lines about "Fish" actually. Problem is, no alternative ending is coming to me. Perhaps less stress and more patience is needed, eh?

Holly said...

One-Pass Revisions. Wish I could get that to work for me today.

J.A. Coppinger said...

Rugh going today, huh? I saw the pix on the stire: YIKES!

Maybe you need This to go along with your SEP Field . . .