Friday, June 17, 2005

Done Done Done Done and DONE!!!

Oh Yea!!!

Godslayer is DONE, baby!

I pushed through until the wee hours last night and knocked out the last of the type-in. GS is now "officially" done (coming in at a nice, round, 80,000 words, thank you very much!) and I am once again doing the happy-snoopy-dance-of-joy! (A sight you should be grateful you can not see!) I am thrilled (can you tell?) and I have to say it was the easiest edit I've ever done thanks to Holly Lisle's "One Pass Revisions". I know I've talked it up on here many times before, but I'm tellin' ya: if you haven't stopped in to read it over, do so now! It works - I actually got through it in a single pass and following her guidelines helped me organize it and make it a much better book than it was when I started editing. I was able to isolate and clean up glaring logic mistakes and dump a whole load of unnecessary crap that slowed it down. And best of all: the whole process was fairly painless. Thanks Holly!

Now I move on to the synopsis re-write. (That's tonight's task!) and then start fresh on Monday with the ending of "Fish". I've decided to just start typing and see where the story takes me. I know what the final scene will be but I don't know how to get there, so I'll let the characters decide. That always seems to work better for me anyway. Don't know why I keep screwing up the process with my conscious mind! After that, I'll start write-in on "Clans" and begin first draft on the next novel. Keeping busy while I send out the agent queries, etc. will help keep me from panicking I think. Otherwise, I'll be sitting around the house (eating potato chips by the bag! Oh, how I love that accursed treat!) and snapping at anyone who dares speak to me. It's not a pretty thing when I'm in my "insecure writer" mode.

The weekend is already shot for writing: Family reunion, followed by a graduation, followed by a birthday party, followed by lawn maintenance, followed by my fat-ass passing out on the nearest soft surface!!! It's cool though; I have a lot of driving to do between each event so it'll give me lot of time to think about what to work on next.

Have I mentioned I'm happy right now?

For a little while at least (until the rejections start coming in!) I can feel like a real writer, not just a wannabe. It's a really good feeling. Now all I gotta do is keep writing (and praying!) and maybe I'll get to keep that feeling for more than a few weeks. Good weekend to all!

Later!

3 comments:

Holly said...

Congratulations! Glad I could help.

Krista Heiser said...

Congrats on finishing!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your posts.