Monday, February 19, 2007

Lafayette, nous voilà

Hey, folks!

Sorry for the extended abscence. Life and work (especially work!) were totally out of control for the last few weeks. Not quite sure what happened, but the time was just a blur in my tiny little mind! Ah well, I'm back to entertain you once more. Did ya' miss me? (Yes, please lie when you answer that . . . I have a fragile ego!) Everyone is healthy and happy here about and life seems to be settling back down again so you'll be subject to more of my bizarre doings on a regular basis. (Barring any nervous breakdowns on my part.)

On the writing front: not a lot of new work over the past two weeks, but I did some more editing of "Fish" and (best of all!) I've been seeing a lot of response to my queries on "Slayer". Several form rejections (to be expected!) one form rejection with a very complimentary hand-written note on it from the agent (much appreciated) and a phone call from a well known agent who wants to see the whole manuscript (Much delight!) No offer or anything at this point but the interest tells me that maybe I'm not just banging my head against a wall here. Could it be that I might actually have what it takes to be a published author?

Well, shit! Who'da thunk it????

I shouldn't get ahead of myself though. I spoke with the agent directly and she said the writing was a bit rough but the idea was very good. Now, I like to think it gets better after that first chapter and I KNOW my other novels have a much smoother style to them than "Slayer". I really like the story for this one -it's a lot of fun- but it was the first book I completed that I felt was publishable, so I'm sure there are still some rough edges in there. Good thing is: I'm not afraid to knock them off when somebody points 'em out to me! I've had no problem at all making editorial changes to the short stories I've published in the past and I don't see any issues with an agent's input either. Only an fool assumes he knows everything. I'm no fool (though I have been called much less polite things in my life . . . usually by The Wife!) I'll take any input I get and do my damndest to use it for improving my novels.

The good part is, this is the response to less than 20% of the queries I sent out on "Slayer". Doesn't really mean anything of course -the other 80% could all be form rejects- but I take it as a hopeful sign. Think good thoughts for this fat old man, would ya?

Well, that's it for right now. Tonight will be quite busy. I need to print out and mail my full MS to the agent tomorrow morning (Can you tell I'm impatient?) Hope all is well with everyone out there and I apologize if the daily joy of reading my blathers was missing from your life (Yea, right!)

Later!

6 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

OMG, Jim!! That's awesome!! I hope the agent wants it, that would just rock! I have missed your posts and I'm glad you're back. I LOVE your ramblings. I can't wait to hear more.

GO, JIM!!!!

Jean said...

That's exciting news, Jim. Good luck.

And, of course I missed you!

Anonymous said...

have been wondering where you've disappeared to! hope the agent works out - which one did you send it to? and will you ever reveal what the book's about?

anyway, congrats on your good news :)

SRH said...

That really is a nice step with the agent response. I have my fingers crossed for you.

J.A. Coppinger said...

Thank you all,

It's nice to be missed! :-)

Sally: I'm keeping the agent/novel info under wraps until it's a real thing, ya know? I'm a little superstitious that way - don't wanna jinx anthing! If it ever happens, trust me, you won't hear the end of it!!!!

Later!

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see if it works out for you :) understand about the whole "keeping it under wraps" - will keep reading to find out what happens and will keep writing because i still hope for that sweet sweet call :)

PS: Have you read http://pubrants.blogspot.com? a great place for questions to ask potential agents.