Friday, February 23, 2007

300

Nope, not the movie!!

This is my 300th post on this blog! (yay, me!) To those who have followed along through all three hundred issues of my neurotic inner ramblings, I want to say . . .

YOU POOR, STUPID, BASTARD!!!!!!

Good God, don't you have something better to do with your life than to read 300 of my pointless, whining, posts?

No?

Oh. Well, in that case: keep coming back for the next 300 . . . shit, at this point ya' gotta believe it can't get any worse, right? :-)

I've been working on the edits to "Fish" lately. I want to get that done before I move on with the WIP or start anything new. At this point I have four (yup, four!) completed novels . . . well, two of them are still first draft, but they are "done" dammit! I'm thinking that if I polish off "Fish", then I have two ready for publication, and two more in the hopper for edits. That should give me a nice buffer if I do have any luck with the agent/publisher search. That way I'll have time to edit the other two and start a new project long before anyone starts pushing deadlines at me. See, isn't it nice that I can think positive like that? I'm already planning out my fifth published novel and I don't even have an agent at the moment. Now THAT's having big brass ones, folks!

"Fish" is still creeping me out (of course!) but I'm really happy with how it's coming together. So far, I only have to add in 3k-4k words to flesh out some of the plot. The rest has all been line edits. I've been killing a lot of words as I go, tightening it up. I imagine the book shouldn't change much in size once I'm done. Last night I was brutal. I killed dozens of paragraphs, leaving only a sentence or two in their wake. Some of it was good writing but didn't pass the: "Does it move the story forward?" litmus test. Good thing is, that's getting easier to do. My editing hatchet has a nice sharp edge on it nowadays and I ain't 'fraid to use 'er!!!

On the personal front: got a Boy Scout event tomorrow a.m. that'll run through early afternoon. It will be a lot of fun though, I've done it for the last few years and enjoyed it immensely. As for the rest of the weekend, I have no clue, but I'm sure my boss -uh, I mean: The Wife- will let me know where I have to go and what I have to do. I'll just nod a lot and say "Yes, Dear" as I always do.

Well, tht's all for today. Gotta bail . . .

Later!

2 comments:

SRH said...

Congrats on the big three-oh-oh. I think I have been here for most of it. I am not sure I like what that says about me...

Just wanted you to know, I was actually sending much positive energy your way this week.

Spilling Ink said...

Happy 300, Jim, and many, many more!