Monday, February 26, 2007

Confoosin'!

I am confused.

Well, yes . . . I DO know that's hardly unusual for me (thank you so much for pointing that out!) but I happen to be more confused than usual at the moment. I got home on Friday evening to find a letter waiting for me from the agent I spoke with last week. It was a return of my original query, with some notes and suggestions on it, asking me to make some changes along certain lines and send the book back again. Well, that's seems straight forward, right? Problem is, the letter came AFTER she had called me and asked me to submit the full, but BEFORE she could have possibly received it in the mail. OY! My head hurts. It's not that big of a deal I guess. I intend to work on the changes anyway (Shit, how often do you get feedback from a noted pro? You bet your ass I'm making them changes!) I figure I'll give her a few weeks to read through the copy I sent her, and I'll just move on with the changes she suggested (all of which make good sense, BTW) and worry about squaring it all out later on. Still, I'm a noob here and worry about such things. Did she forget our conversation? Did she get the full sooner than I thought and the comments were based on that? Was she just giving me something to start on while she was waiting for the full?

Yup, I be confoosed!!!!

Maybe I should think positive . . . maybe the book's so good she asked for it twice!! (Yea, okay!)

So, to sum up: for the immediate future I'l be working my way through "Slayer", using the agent's suggestions to help weed out some slow spots in the book. Hell, I figure that even if she doesn't sign me, the book will just be that much better, ya' know?

Personal stuff: weekend was very busy. Spent all day Saturday out in the cold, working with the Scouts. Had a lot of fun, but earned a nice windburn and set of chapped lips for my troubles. Sunday was spent working on the agent's changes to "Slayer". I had to laugh at The Wife last night . . . after I spent 5+ hours working on the book, she was vacuuming the floor and lecturing me about how easy I have it. Her comment went something like this:

" . . . you've go it so easy! You get to sit here all day doing nothing but read, while I do all the work!"

Ah, yes! The simplicity of being a writer! Ya know: it's amazing more folks don't think to do this for a living, what with it being so simple! Just park ass, read, scribble out a few ideas on paper, type it up and send it off in the mail and you're an instant millionaire! The rest of the world is filled with fools who haven't figured out our writerly secret yet! Luckily, The Wife is too wise to be fooled in such manner. She's got her eye on me and knows I'm just sitting about doing nothing for hours on end! I felt it wiser not to point out at that juncture that what I was doing required a lot more effort and brain power than just pushing a vacuum back and forth across the carpet. (I've grown rather attached to my family jewels, thank you very much!) See? I really can be taught!

Oy. Have I mentioned my head hurts?

Later!

2 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

I would be a little confused too, Jim, but it seems you are taking a constructive approach. Cool! It's all good. Don't forget my autographed copy :-)

J.A. Coppinger said...

I won't forget. :-) The day one of my novels hits the stores, your's will be in the mail!

Later!