Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Toob Watching

Monday night has become my TV night. It is, without question, the best night for the toob. Of course, that kills my writing productivity. Not to fear though: in my brilliance I have already enacted a plan to be able to watch my toobage and continue my work with little interference. I have just ordered the new Verizon FIOS package with the HD/DVR option so I'll be able to record all my shows and watch 'em whenever I want! BOO-YAH! The Wife (of course!) doesn't think we need the DVR but I think she'll change her mind once we have it. My plan is to set the thing to record all my shows for the week, then watch them on Friday/Saturday nights. Both of those are "crash" evenings around our house and we always spend hours flipping channels and complaining about there being nothing on. Well, now there WILL be something on! Everything I want to watch! Cool, no? Oh, fine! I'm sure most of you already have the TIVO thing working, but I'm a bit slow, ok? Sheesh!

Anyway, Monday nights line up is really good. I watch:

8:00 - 9:00 . . . "How I met your Mother" & "The Class" (both very funny, though The Wife hates them. Hence, how I know they're funny!)

9:00 . . . "Heroes" (Best damn show on the toob in years! Gets better each week.)

10:00 . . . Usually "Studio 60" (which is good) but last night it was the premiere of "The Black Donnellys" (Holy shit! This was an amazingly good show! Think: Quentin Terentino directing an Irish version of "The Godfather" and you won't be far off.) They're re-running this on NBC Thursday at 10:00. If you missed it, I suggest you check it out. This is a show you're gonna love. Especially if (like meself!) you're Irish.

Well, the good news is I didn't let the watching interfere with my work on "Slayer". I jumped into the edits right after dinner and did a solid 40 pages before the shows came on. I am actively seeking out any extraneous explanatory expulsions that have inundated my poetic prose. In other words: I'm cutting out any useless words! Strangely, I had more of this up front (which is a very bad thing!) than I seem to have further on in the book. I'm trying to be merciless though. If it isn't 100% needed, it's going. I have a tendency to get lost in my character's thoughts and sometimes that's ok, as long as they stay focused on the plot. The agent noted a couple of instances where the MC was basically daydreaming, which killed the pace of the book. It's a fast paced, light-hearted kinda read and I saw what she meant immediately. These ponderings were like moving through molasses. She beat me over the head with the basic advice of: "Show, don't tell!" Think I should know better by now, huh?

Tonight is Scouts so I don't know how much work I'll get to but I hope to get at least something done!

Later!

1 comment:

Spilling Ink said...

I didn't think we needed a DVR either. Yeah, your wife will probably like it once you guys start using it. My brother-in-law suggested Heroes to me. I think I will check it out. His name is Jim, too! The fact that you saw what the agent meant right away with the edits is very good news. I've got my fingers crossed for you, pal :-)