Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Fat Vegetarians

Great post over on Jean's site today. If you've ever worried about your weight or health, take the time to read through it! This is the general idea behind my vegetarian diet. I'm trying to eat what I think of as "Whole Foods" as much as possible: fresh grown, unprocessed, no additives type stuff. I've been a little on the bad side with the processed foods lately, trying to save some time with the cooking and such (and desserts . . . I admit it!) and it's definitely slowed down my weight loss. It's actually kinda funny: when folks find out I'm a vegetarian, their first reaction is to look at my belly with a raised eyebrow. Folks don't expect to see fat vegetarians! Well, weight loss wasn't my goal here, but I have actually lost some weight, so I just laugh when they try to cover their surprise. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll actually look like a vegetarian!

So, I did a good bit of editing on "Fish" last night. Forced myself through a particularly unpleasant scene that I'd been avoiding work on for a week now. As I recall, it was the same damn scene that stalled me in the first draft! It's a very ugly flashback scene where my nine-year-old MC is sexually molested. I tried to make the victim experience as vivid as I could and it leaves me feeling uptight and vaguely sick each time I read through it. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Is there such a thing as too vivid? Oh, it's not overly graphic or anything but it always hits me right in the gut. Maybe cuz it's told from the kids POV, ya know?

No new words, but I do have a stack of queries all set to go into the mail (I just have to get my lazy ass to the post office and get stamps for the SASE's!) for "Slayer". I've been hit/miss with my SCWWE plan but I've been managing to get at least three of the letters in on most nights. It's progress . . . I'll take it! Next two nights are gonna be rough; got a meeting with a bank guy about a re-finance, Boy Scouts, and another BS related event to attend tomorrow with The Boy. In between that, The Boy has daily homework I need to go over with him, and three looming school projects. Oh, and I'm still helping out on the Eagle Project write up from last week! Then I still have to try and fit in the SCWWE . . . .(sigh!)

Sow how crazy is your life? :-)

Later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand completely what you mean when you describe the trouble FISH. Point of view is everything.

I don't raise my eyebrows over a vegetarian with a few extra pounds. People like to make assumptions based on what they see. I wonder how many people ever wonder what things they CAN'T see of the people they make assumptions about.

You're my favorite vegetarian :-)