Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Twisted Brilliance

Why is it that women will listen to everyone on the planet except for their husband? The Wife is the queen of this! I can tell her something thirty times, with six pages of written proof, a slideshow, and a signed affadavit from God Almighty (in triplicate!) and she'll just roll her eyes and ignore me. Let the drunken bum lying in his own vomit on the corner tell her the same thing though and she's all ears. (Sigh!) I'm fairly sure it's just a reflex action from her resentment of my always being right. (Ha! It's good to be the blog writer!)

On Sunday, we went to pick up The Boy from a friend's house and she stepped in a small hole in their lawn, twisting her ankle pretty solidly. She limped back to the car and I told her that when we got home, she should elevate it and put ice on it to stop the swelling. She replied with her infamous eye-rolling and chose to ignore my sage advice, continuing her usual mad-dash routine when we got home (Well, she IS Super Woman, after all!) Yesterday, the ankle was swollen up like a balloon and she was in a lot of pain. In the morning I told her once more to ice the damn thing . . . and got more eye-rolling for my troubles. She goes to work, shows it to one of the nurses at the hospital, and gets remarkable medical advice from someone with years of training and experience that far outweighed my paltry attempts at helping. Wanna guess what they told her to do?

"Go home, elevate it, and put some ice on that damn thing!"

Wow. Sure am glad there was somebody around to give her such smart advice! Of course, since she heard it from ANYONE who wasn't me, she left work early and went home to take care of the ankle. (Sigh, yet again!)

Writing: I've got most of my NaNo novel plotted out and I'm working on the chapter breakdowns for it. Still not feeling very confident on this one but I figure it's kind of like sex: very intimidating at first but you'll never know how wonderful it can be unless you try. It will either be a complete flop of a novel or something wonderful. I don't see this one falling into a middle ground. (Hmmm . . . Premature Novelization?)

The weekend went well, we went to my brother's for dinner Saturday and had a wonderful time. My entire family was there (and there are a LOT of us!) It was loud, crazy, and damn funny! One thing I will give to my clan: we're all a little nuts but we've got a fine sense of humor. Stories, jokes, and inappropriate observations were flying all over the place. Most of the younger generation are now in their teens/early twenties so they're old enough to participate in the conversations and it really made it fun. (Fresh audience for old stories! Very cool!) What a great bunch of kids! They're all smart, funny, and a lot of fun to hang with. We ate much, drank much, and laughed much. If there's a better definition of a good time, I don't know what it is!

Oh, and my Giants laid a whoopin' on the Cowboys last night, so life is good today!

Later!

5 comments:

SRH said...

"Premature Novelization" is wrong kind of funny

Anonymous said...

it's funny, she said the nurse told her about it but never mentioned you. i probably didn't hear because i was with the friend, but nothing as far as i know. i'll keep you posted

Spilling Ink said...

Jim, I sometimes do the same thing (but in different circumstances) to my poor husband. I wish I could shed some light on the situation and tell you why, but I just don't know!

Jean said...

Jim, we do that sometimes. I think it's because we hate to admit you're right, but in this case...

Last time I buggered my ankle up good, I hobbled into the house, grabbed the phone and a bag of ice, and limped into the bedroom to elevate the ankle and tried to reach hubby at work. No luck. When he finally got home, he wanted me to drive myself to the hospital to get it checked out. It was my left ankle, so I could drive the automatic. That was no problem. The quarter mile hike in from the parking lot gave me great pause. He finally agreed to drive me in. The X-rayed it and gave me a splint for it (the foot to mid-calf was swollen double in size, so this wasn't a minor sprain). It was six months before I could run on it again.

J.A. Coppinger said...

Ah-Ha!

I see the women banding together! It's all a plot, I tell you! :-)

Jean - OUCH! does not sound fun! In fairness to your husband though - was the game on?????

Ah, and I see my son has found my blog and got himself a login name. 'Sup bud? GO DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND STOP PLAYING ON THE INTERNET, BOY! ;-)

Later!