Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Punk

Not feeling good today. I'm coming down with a cold or something. My neck aches and my throat is raw. Never fun. I'm thinking tonight is a crash in front of the fire and read night. That, followed by bed, is all I have in mind right now.

Scouts last night, followed by a long talk with The Boy over his attitude. Nothing major, just the typical teenager type of stuff. Funny thing is (not funny ha-ha, but funny weird, ya' know?) was that a lot of his issue comes from trying to be like me (his own words, not my opinion!) at the same age. He wants to show he can be as "independent" as I was. (SIGH!!!) I had to explain to him I wasn't "independent" by choice. My home life was so screwed up I moved out on my own at 14.

It wasn't fun, it wasn't good for me, and it certainly isn't something I want him even considering! I took great pains to explain to him just how badly that had screwed up my entire life. He was shocked to find I'm still struggling with a lot of the fears from back then today. Silly child thinks I actually have complete control of my life and thinks I learned that by being on my own so young. OOOOYYYYY!!!!! I think he got the idea though. I finished the conversation by explaining that I didn't want our relationship to go bad, the way it did between me and my father. I was glad to hear he didn't want that either! He agreed to tone things down a bit and I promised not to be quite so "in his face" over silly things. (I exempted school, safety, and legal stuff from the promise!)

Anyway, I got more work done on my NaNo outline. I'm shooting for an 80,000 word novel this time around and having the outline solidly done is gonna be key to getting it all done in 30 days (yea, I'm delusional . . . told you I was sick today!)

Later!

2 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

Hi Jim, I'm sorry you don't feel well. I hope you feel better soon. For headcold or any sinus thing, I use a natural product called Sinofresh. It's a non-addictive nasal spray that doesn't have the 'rebound stuffiness' effect later on. Walgreens carries it. I don't know how many full-blown sinus infections that stuff has spared me! Helps me come back so much faster so I can keep up with all my little kiddies.

P.S. I'm thinking about NaNo. My husband is willing to back me up at home. Hmmm...

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about a possible cold. Or stuff sinuses. Or whatever. Sending healing vibes your way.

That's great you and your son were able to talk to calm (for the post part.) Mind if I incorporate your discussion in a future novel?

NaNo? Sigh. I'm still thinking what you sent. That's a lot of words, though.