Monday, October 09, 2006

Evil Scales

Monday once again. Yes, that overflowing cess pool of a day has yet again spewed its foul offal upon our heads.

Happy frikkin' Monday.

Weekend was alright though . . . I got my 2nd gas fireplace installed (woo hoo!) and did some other minor crap about the house. Also did a lot of running, looking for lamps. Hours. . . looking . . . for . . . LAMPS!!!!! Once more, we can see the difference between the male and female of the species. We have different approaches to purchasing anything:

THE WIFE: "Do you like this one? I don't know, it's too short . . . and the color may not go with the drapes. What about that one, with the rod iron flowers? Oh good, you like it too? Wait . . . I don't like the shade. It's oval, not round . . ."

And on, and on, and on . . .

ME: "Can I put a light bulb in it? Good, then buy the damn thing!"

See? We just think different!

What else is going on? Well, BSG was friggin' (or frakkin' if you prefer!) awesome on Friday. The writers have got some big brass ones with the story changes they're attempting this season. One thing I found fascinating is the (not very subtle) reversal of roles they're pulling about Western morality. See, in this show: the GOOD guys are reduced to using suicide bombers and other terror means to fight off the BAD guys. Of course, even the bad guys have some good folks among them, but they are smacked down hard and fast for trying to help the good folks. (i.e. via a bullet to the head) The bad guys are convinced that peace can only be achieved through use of extreme force and at any price: even torture, murder, and illegal arrests. Sounds familiar, eh? Can't say I agree with all the points being made but I think it's a good think for folks to take a minute and look at things from both sides. Okay, so their applying the morality lesson with a sledgehammer; but it's STILL damn compelling TV!

Diet, exercise, etc. is still going strong (for once!) and I'm feeling good. Scales are evil things . . . I have to learn to ignore it. It tells me I haven't lost any weight over the last two months but that just ain't so! All my clothes are falling off, I can see the change in my face and even The Wife pointed out the other day that most of my paunch was gone (Welllll . . . a good portion of it, anyway!) My waist size has dropped at least four inches (maybe more!) and I can feel the difference in everything I do but the scale still says: "Nope, you're a lard ass, Jim!"

Well, fuck you too, Mr Scale!

Only thing I can figure is the exercise. The Wife tells me muscle weighs more than fat and I have seen a good bit of change in that arena as well so I'll have to take the brilliant lady's words for it. it don't matter really, point is: I just feel good . . . but it sure would be nice to say: "Damn, I lost me some weight!"

Later!

4 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

Your wife is right about muscle weighing more than fat. That's why YOU are changing but the scale is not. To hell wth scales - they are instruments of the devil!!!

thephoenixanddragon said...

you are going to have to hange your profile and remove your paunch.lol congrats on the fat loss.

SRH said...

Scales mean absolutely nothing. Abso-frikkin-luely nothing. It is all about how you feel.

Unknown said...

Ignore the scale. Measure by belt size. You'll feel a lot better :)