Thursday, October 12, 2006

NaNo Cometh!

Got my e-mail reminder that NaNoWriMo is starting up again on November One. I hadn't been planning on doing it this year but yesterday I got this really wonderful idea for a novel that I'd love to jump into. I was only half-seriously considering starting it, because I'm still working on "First" and it's something completely outside my traditional fantasy genre. Then I got the invite fo NaNo and the little light bulb went off above my head. Timing is everything, eh?

Here's the issue: (and I know I've touched on this before so I apologize for boring you!) I've been really wondering if I'm working in the wrong field. I love fantasy . . . or, I used to. See, I grew up on it and it's the section of the book store I always stop at first. Over the last few years though, there's been very few fantasy works that I've liked (exception: anything by Holly Lisle. I learned about her from her blog and she writes amazing stuff. If you haven't picked any of her work up, go do so immediately!) most of them are just . . . flat. They're predictable and lack the sense of wonder that made fantasy so much fun for me. That's bad, but worse than that is: my own books seem just as flat. They just aren't fun. I read them and say "That's pretty good." instead of "Wow, that's cool!". I've really never written much besides fantasy because that's what I knew best.

And therein may lie the problem.

I'm thinking that I've become so familiar with the "rules" of fantasy that I'm not able to break through to anything original. "Fish" is the only thing I've ever written that isn't fantasy based (it's a contemporary fiction novel with a dark fantasy twist) and -while it's not perfect- it's the best thing I've written. This new novel would be something along the same lines, with more of a literary tint to it. It actually scares me to think about trying to write this one. Strangely, I believe that fear is a good thing; it tells me I'm looking at something that's an actual challenge. NaNo is a perfect opportunity to try it out. A one month burst, to see if I have it within me to even get close to writing this type of novel. At worst: I take a short break from "First" and get my brain cleared out to finish it up. At best: maybe I'll discover that fantasy isn't my genre and I've been missing my hidden greatness all this time! (Hey, it's my blog! I'll dream out loud if I want to, dammit!) Really though, I just feel like I need to try something different. The fantasy writing is not inspiring me the way it used to. I feel like I do my best work in a modern setting, with a bit of my own humor thrown in (ya' know: like dis here blog!) I've been thinking a lot about it lately and I'm going to at least give it a shot.

So, bring on the NaNo, baby! I'm in again this year!!!

On other fronts: I'm off to court tomorrow to finalize the legal proceedings against my contractor. (yay!) I'll let you know how it goes, come Monday. Then I have a meeting with a group of Church Ladies (real ones!) tomorrow night, that should take forever. Saturday is going to be crazy: taking The Boy to an open house for a "private" high school he's interested in atttending and then I'm pretty sure we have to do something that night, though I don't remember what. (The Wife will tell me. I just follow her and say "Yes, Dear." a lot!) Sunday will be working on the house again (and watching football of course!) So, I'm outta here until Monday once more rears its vile head to drain all pleasure and hope from my life . . .

Later!

5 comments:

Spilling Ink said...

Go for it with that new novel, Jim. Perhaps FISH is different because it contains a piece of your inner essence. We've had chats before about what makes it different. I think it is special, like you. How I wish I could join you in NaNo. I just have too many chicken feathers right now. I hope to be able to shed them soon.

SRH said...

Some writers never look at their own writing and think "Wow, that's cool!" They are too close to the work, even when they have given themselves some space since writing it. I also think (just my opinion here) that you don't need to think about what genre your book is going to be considered for publishing until you are trying to get it published. Just write and then label it when you are done.

Good luck with the contractor battle.

Anonymous said...

Yay for NaNoWriMo! I've joined for my first time this year. What's your user name Joe? Mine's Nienke

Spilling Ink said...

I think SRH is right about not needing to assign a genre before or during work.

J.A. Coppinger said...

Solid advice guys, thanks!

It's just that all I've ever really written is "epic" fantasy (LOTR, WOT type stuff!)and it's a bit nerve wracking to move into things completely different.

Lynn - shave them feathers, girl! You can do it!

Nienke - I think you're confusing me with JA (Joe) Konrath. I'm Jim. The difference between us is that he's . . . well, ya' know: PUBLISHED!!

;-)

I'm JaCop for Nano. I added you to my buddy list so I'll be keeping an eye on what you're doing. Good Luck!!!!!

Later!