Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Sleep It Off!

Happy Tuesday!

Well, ya' know - sorta happy anyway. I was MIA yesterday because my ass was home sick. I called out from work and got some much needed rest. The Wife still claims I was playing hooky but the truth is, I knew I was coming down with something and I had to let my system beat it down. See, I learned long ago that the most efficient way to kill off an illness is to rest when it first hits. When I start feeling sick, I'm right into bed and sleeping for as long as I possibly can. The Wife (silly woman that she is!) feels the need to "be strong" about illness. She pushes through when she feels like crap, goes to work, doesn't let the home stuff slide, etc. and consequently: she's sick and miserable for weeks at a time. Yesterday morning, I woke up feeling miserable - headache, sore joints, itchy eyes, and a slight fever. Could I have gone to work? Sure, but I'd have been miserable, getting worse by the moment. Instead, I took a sick day and stayed in bed until it was gone. Today, I feel fine.

The boy was thrilled at my staying home yesterday; he didn't have to go to summer camp. After The Wife left for work, he crawled into her spot in the bed (we have a king) and went to sleep beside me. Neither of us budged until Noon! We got up, showered, grabbed some lunch, then spent the afternoon playing video games and napping. I didn't even have to cook last night: the boy made dinner on his own! It was cool to watch . . . didn't turn out half-bad either! I just sorta sat at the table, giving him sage advice on what he needed to do next and let him handle it all. He had fun and was pretty proud of himself.

The weekend was crazy busy - the boy and I worked a local festival as a fund raiser for the Boy Scouts all day. We do it every year and it's actually a lot of fun, but it's also a LOT of work. You don't get a minutes rest! It went well . . . over four days of the festival we raised almost $2000 for the Troop. On sunday, we did some small work about the house and a little running, then we went to neighbors for a BBQ. It was nice and we were home pretty early. I did have a hamburger while there (I didn't want to cause a fuss). The folks didn't know I'd become a vegetarian. It was the first meat I've really eaten in almost two months. Gotta say, I wasn't impressed with it. It was a good burger and two months ago I'd have loved it, but it just didn't appeal to me anymore. It was greasy, heavy, and just didn't taste good . . . they had corn on the cob and a great fresh salad, both of which I devoured and loved.

Those are words I NEVER would have thought I'd hear myself say!

Well, I'm back in the swing today so I'll keep you posted throughout the week.

Later!

5 comments:

SRH said...

I still just won't let myself believe that you have gone all veggie on us. I don't even know who you are anymore...

Spilling Ink said...

I'm glad the burger didn't do it for you. Here's to your health!

I love how you described the time you spent with your son yesterday. Sometimes these things might seem small, though very nice when they happen, but I think times like that are food for children's souls.

Anonymous said...

I love reading about how you spend time with your son. You sound like a good father.

J.A. Coppinger said...

A good father?

Nahhhh . . . more like an overgrown (bald) kid myself! :-)

Later!

Spilling Ink said...

Thank you, Jim. I mean that.