Thursday, August 10, 2006

Da F-Bomb Falleth!

Ah yes, a good writing day today! (Finally!) I knocked out just over 1,800 words on "First", which brings my word count to almost 150k . . . and I don't see it ending under 200k, unless I really start cheaping out on some of the story (which I won't do!) Well, who knows? Maybe I can clip a bunch of it in edits (Yea, right!) I really wish I knew how people keep their novels under 100k . . . it seems to elude me. Too much cool crap comes up as I'm working and I've never been able to just "leave it out". Speaking of edits, I really need to get back to work on editing my other stuff. It's been sitting there in the drawer, doing nothing, for waaaaaaaayyyyy too long now! Summer is NOT a good time for editing. The nights are just too nice and there's too much going on. Editing is really a winter type of thing. Still, it has to be done if I ever want to be published so I'll have to make time somehow.

We had a minor tussle at my house with the boy last night. Seems he was caught using "inappropriate" language at the summer camp he goes to. He and a few friends were playing a board game and he thought (incorrectly!) there were no adults in the room when he let the F-Bomb drop. (Yup, the nuclear warhead of invectives, folks!) The head of the entire camp had just walked in behind him and the boy hadn't noticed. He got a written reprimand (which I agree with, BTW!) and I had to sign it to show I was aware of what he'd done. Now, the boy is almost thirteen and I know he uses such language regularly when with his peers (I did at 13!) so I wasn't too shocked, I just explained to him why it wasn't appropriate in a formal setting like the camp. When he got home however, The Wife was not nearly as understanding. She had a minor meltdown over it (granted, she had a few more reasons than just the word, but it was still a bit over the top to my way of thinking.) and started throwing out threats and punishments galore. After she was done verbally lashing the boy and he'd split to his room, she wanted to know why I wasn't more upset about it. I (being the wonderful, honest, man that I am!) had to point out that it's hard to yell at him for using a word he hears thirty times a day . . . FROM HER! Alright, and from me too - occasionally!) I also pointed out that cursing at him, for cursing in public, was probably not the best approach.

She was not pleased with me.

To her credit though, she realized the silliness of the situation after about 15 minutes. She was really just worried about him being tossed from the program (not really a danger: the guy who runs it -and wrote him up- thinks he's a great kid and wants him to work there next summer as a CIT) The Wife is in no way comfortable with the idea of leaving the boy home alone and wants to make sure he has somewhere to be in the summer. I can understand that but I still say: "pick your battles". If you yell at him over little things, he'll stop listening when you're getting on him for major things. God knows, I could turn my folks off just like a radio tuner by the time I was a teenager . . . they sounded just like the adults from a Charlie Brown cartoon : "Wha-Wha-Whaa-Whaaaaaa . . ."

Of course, my chuckle-head of a son thought it would be really funny to make jokes of the situation once she'd calmed down, and almost got himself into real trouble for being a smart ass! The boy figgers all subjects can be turned to something humorous (Hmmmm . . . wonder where he picked that up?) and doesn't realize that it's not a good idea to poke fun at the angry Momma-Bear, even when she's trying to stay calm. Ah, the genius of a thirteen year old!

I gotta say though - some of what he said was pretty damn funny. The Wife (surprisingly) did not agree. ;-)

Later!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What Poppa Bear neglects to inform you nice folks was that our Son was using the language because his friends were using the language too which leads me to worry that if they are doing WORSE things - ie drugs - the Son would be inclined to do drugs too - can we say "Peer Pressure"? I know - I may be being paranoid but in this day and age, things are just more available and accepted as norm and I'm just trying to make sure our kid isn't one of the sad statics of teens.

Spilling Ink said...

You guys could kiss and make up. Or if darker moods persist, the both of you could come on over to my place and join me for a pop quiz. That's right, a pop quiz. It's Friday, after all. Hell, come on over, whatever your mood. Are these word verifications getting harder to read or is it just me?

Anonymous said...

That's f-ing funny Joe. LOL

SRH said...

I am sure that Little Man will be openning the payload doors for his f-bombing run soon. I just hope he curses correctly. There rae too many kids out there that just randomly and non-sensically insert curse words into their daily language. I just want Little Man's cursing to mean something!

J.A. Coppinger said...

LOL - I have to go with SRH here . . . the boy gets bonus points for using the word correctly, and in a caomplete sentence!

Hmmm . . . You being paranoid, babe? NAAAHHHH!!! :-) You're jsut Mrs. Happy-Fun-Girl!!!

Lynnn - I hate the F*@#ing verifications! I always have to type 'em twice because all the letters intermix! Need 'em though, otherwise I get spam out the Hoo-ha!

Later!