Wednesday, June 28, 2006

My Kingdom for a Book!

Got me some work done on "Fish" yesterday. I edited two chapters (with much cutting, I'm afraid!) and it's going pretty well. I was on the road for work all day, so no writing at lunch yesterday and today I was just too busy, so no lunch at all! I also manged to get some reading done over the last week; the first reading I think I've done in months (which really sucks!) I read Robert Jordan's "New Spring" and Stephen King's "Cell".

"New Spring" wasn't a great novel but it filled in some background on a few characters from the WOT and it was interesting. Have I mentioned that my son has become totally hooked on this series? He is currently cranking on book #8 in the series and loving it. Not too shabby for a 12 year old, eh?

"Cell" is a classic King novel. The damn thing is creeeeeeppppppppyyyyyy as hell! It had that old school "The Stand" type of feel, with some interesting turns to the plot that I wasn't expecting. The ending was a little anti-climactic but it was a very good read. Nobody makes the hair on the back of my neck (ya' know, if I actually had any!) stand up like King can.

I miss reading!!!!! The one thing I plan on doing when the house is (finally!) finished is spending LOTS of time sitting in my new over-stuffed chair, reading anything I can lay hands on. I'm in a serious case of novel-withdrawal right now. If I don't get a fix soon, I'm gonna implode! (Which will not be pretty on any level!) Ah well, these two should at least see me through this upcoming weekend. I've got a straight four days off, during which I will (naturally!) be working on the house.

I have a question for everyone today: Is there a difference between ethics and morals?

Strangely, I have found this is a recurring theme in all my writing. I'd like to hear what other folks think, so leave your thoughts in the comments. And -if you're all real good boys and girls- I'll give you my thoughts on the subject in my next post.

Later!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been holding off buying Cell, but I'll try it on your recommendation. Like everyone else, The Stand was my fave.
When I think of ethics, I think more of doing what one thinks is right (in both business and life). Morals is what one believes in that motivates them to behave one way or another. MHO.
Look forward to reading your opinion.

SRH said...

Interesting question:

I think the 2 intertwine a bunch but there is a fundamental difference between them both.

Ethics: seem to be a system of actions and beliefs

Morals: seem to have a goodness or a badness and intrinsic worth associated.

For example, my work ethic is that I come into work by 7 am.

It is not amoral if I do not get into work by 7 am.

Anonymous said...

According to Webster's:
Ethics: A branch of philosophy dealing with moral duty and with questions of what is good and bad.
Morals: Teachings or rules of behavior.

According to Lynn
Ethics: Personal standards developed for and by an idividual.
Morals: Ingrained cultural and familial ways of being that are forced upon an idividual regardless of their ethics.

My personal goal according to my own definintions is to be more ethical and less moral - way less moral!

P.S. Thanks for the heads-up on CELL. It's been sitting on my nightstand for a couple of months. I'll get to it sooner now on your trustworthy recommendation. Lynn