Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Storm Trek III: The Search for Spark

CAPTAIN'S LOG: STORMDATE TWO-ZERO-ZERO-SIX, ZERO-FIVE point ZERO-TWO . . .

Spark is dead.

My dearest companion, whose faithfullness and ready wit inspired all my authorly creations is gone: swallowed by the energy draining madness of Planet Work. The shitstorm swirls about me and I am surrounded by deepest despair. How can I go on without Spark? My life has been spent in pursuit of the dream; of being Captain of the USS AuthorPrize . . . and now that the dream seems almost within my grasp, I've lost my Spark.

The shitstorm is worsening and I have no words to tell you how deeply I feel the loss of Spark. My only hope, though it is a faint one, is this place where Spark died . . . If there is a more abundant source of fertilizer in the universe, I cannot conceive of it. Perhaps, if fate is smiling upon me, Spark may raise again from the knee-deep mire of shit through which I struggle.

Perhaps.

In the meantime, I must concentrate on my own survival. If I allow myself to fall . . . there is no hope for Spark at all!

<transmission ends>

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you find your Spark again, please tell me how you did it. I'm looking for mine too. I lost it writing a novel that poked at my sensitivities. I read what you wrote last year about your experience writing FISH (blog-date Mar. 2005 THE CREEPY STUFF). Kudos to you for having the guts to finish it. You made it through that, I'm sure the rigors of Planet Works are merely a temporary setback.
Lynn

Anonymous said...

No, not Spark! Now who is going to write all the how to raise baby books?

Anonymous said...

Been a while since I popped in here. I, too, have been looking for spark. I seemed to have lost it after my writer's conference but tonight as I was lying awake in bed (yay insomnia) I felt the slightest twitch to get up and write...something I haven't done in like 6 or 7 months. I got up and opened my last document...didn't write much but I read.... and I liked what I read...

Don't worry about that Spark, it will come back. Read over some of the stuff you wrote before and really just sit back and enjoy it. Don't critique it. You will find part of Spark in it. In Senjin's story among others.

Your friend from FM, Lee.
My email is freespirit1000@hotmail.com if you wanna chat, maybe novel exchange..or get back into the critique groove :)