Wednesday, July 13, 2005

A Welcome Surprise

Had the workday from hell today but I had a very pleasant surprise waiting for me when I got home. PBW had sent me her novel "Home for the Holidays" (as Rebecca Kelly) as well as a surprise copy of "Abigail's Story" (as Ann Burton). She personalized both novels and also took the time to send me a note of encouragement on my writing. I was touched. The lady is a class act! Thanks, PBW!

Damn, it just occured to me that between PBW & Holly Lisle and their support: I'm going to look like a completely ungrateful ass if I fail at becoming a pro! (No pressure, dude! No pressure . . . just breathe!)

Much craziness at Boy Scouts last night. We had two boys who were not getting along, either in Scouts or at school, etc. so they (being 11 year olds) resorted to name calling and insulting each other in front of mutual friends. Pretty typical stuff, right? Well, it would have been had the parents not gotten involved! The two fathers wound up in a screaming match and threatening to sue each other if their respective child didn't back off.

OY!

What ever happened to letting kids deal with their own problems? When did our children become helpless animatrons who need daddy and his attorney to deal with a bully? Luckily, the other adult leaders in Scouts are solid, rational, guys. They sat the two kids down and had them talk through the problem in about three minutes and they walked off smiling and laughing together. The fathers of course, needed more work. We had to take them to a separate room and spend an hour getting them to calm down. Crap like that truly scares me.

Needless to say, I got back late from that and got no writing done last night. Today I was on the road (and caught in a traffic jam for over a full hour - no lie: I did not move the vehicle for over one full hour! Let's hear it for the Garden State!) so I didn't have a chance to get anything done over lunch either. I'm off to see if I can get into the actual ending of "Fish" or if the damn thing plans on taking down a few more side roads before it lets me wrap up and move on. Well, that's the joy of what we do I guess: never knowing what comes next!

Later!

No comments: