Friday, July 15, 2005

I'm Surrounded!

Friday afternoon and I am SOOO ready for the weekend! This week just kicked my ass (and with an ass the size of mine, that is not an easy thing to do!) I don't think I've stopped running for a moment. I have driven over 700 miles, taught six seminars for a combined total of 33 hours of teaching time plus the nightly writing routine. I'm whooped.

Made a 1500 word dent into the closing chapter (the real one this time) of "Fish" last night and started in on my full blown synopsis of GS. Turns out that I (idiot that I am) was confused about what constitutes a synopsis vs. a query with a short synopsis. So now I am working on the full blown synopsis and it is actually going smoother thatn the query did. For starters, it's a good bit longer (from what I've read: 1 page per 25 pages of novel is good) so I can put more of the voice of the novel into it and cover the key points in better detail. As anyone who has ever read my work can tell you: more words is better where I'm concerned!

Know what my favorite movie quote of all time is? Jeremy Irons in "The Lion King":

"I'm surrounded by idiots!" (play the .wav! It's all in the voice!)

Today, I had an engineer who wanted to scrap three weeks of work put into preparing a planning board presentation over the 3D rendering of his site. When I asked him what the problem was he said that the rendering was wrong because there is an existing tree in the scene that should be shown. I (fool that I am!) looked at the rendering and made the obvious statement . . .

"Uh, dude, there is a tree there."
"Yes, but it's not the right tree!"
"What?"
"The existing tree is a Willow, that looks like an Oak!"

Sometimes I want to cry.

The weekend will be another busy one. I'm to hit the DMV for license renewal (BIG fun!), mow the lawn, visit my brother-in-law to install some software for him, take the boy to another b-day party, do all the shopping for next week's camping trip, take the boy shopping for the rest of the clothes we both need, work more on the re-design of our kitchen and basement, and -of course- spend much quality time with the wife because the boy and I leave for a full week next Saturday. Man, I really hope this sort of craziness ease up once I become a full time professional writer. (Oh, and if you are one, please don't dis-illusion me right now - my fragile psyche needs to believe that right now!)

I'm outta here. Talk to y'all on the next evil day that begins each week.

Later!

1 comment:

SRH said...

My oh my can I relate to that tree story. I get stuff like that all the time. Damn engineers!