Wednesday, July 20, 2005

It's Done

It's over now.

My boy's cat had to be put to sleep last night. The vet said that all we could do was extend her pain and that if it was his cat, he'd put her down. We had already discussed it as a family and we agreed but it was really rough. My son did as he'd said he would: held her on his lap until the last and told her he loved her and to have sweet dreams as she died.

He cried.
My wife cried.
I cried. (wanna make somethin' of it?)

Hell, even the vet cried watching how much pain the boy was in and how bravely he handled it for his friends sake. After, the vet pulled me aside to tell me what a great kid he is. (like I didn't already know!) That was really kind of him to say though. The boy held it together really well until it was all over and we were back in the car driving home, then it hit him she wasn't coming back and he crumbled. When he caved, the wife caved. It was a very difficult ride home. They both loved the cat a lot and they both were very tough. I'm proud of them both.

No writing last night (busy being Mr. Wet-Shoulder) or today (busy with final details of the upcoming camping trip). I still have a ton of crap left to do and shop for (yay. I so love shopping . . .not!)

My son (like everyone else in the known universe!) is currently reading "The Half-Blood Prince". The book was delivered Saturday night and (despite the insanity of the last few days) he had only 60 or so pages left to go as of bedtime last night. I imagine he'll be done with it by the time I pick him up tonight. Not too shabby for a kid his age, eh? The boy is a reading machine. Can't imagine where he gets it . . . Not only does it please me that he reads so well, it pleases me that I get the damn book next! Hey, if you haven't read the "Harry Potter" books, you're missing one hell of a fun read!

Ah well, time is tight - gotta run.

Later!

4 comments:

Rowan said...

My heart goes out to your whole family. It is not an easy thing, but having those last moments is important, if for nothing but closure.

SRH said...

Again,

Sending positive thoughts your way.

J.A. Coppinger said...

Thanks for the support folks! The wife & I went out last night and bought the picture fram & album for him. He's already got a shot of him in the cat in the frame & sitting on his headboard.

We also had the cat cremated so he can keep the ashes in his room. Seems a little morbid to me, but at the time I was willing to give him anything he wanted. :-)

Thanks again!

Rowan said...

Not morbid at all. Silver's ashes are on a lovely corner cabinet next the the aforementioned photo. Somehow that last, tangible part keeps that connection alive. Even to this day, some five years later.